nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello I recently bought a MSI GT70 Dominator with Intel i7-4810 MQ & GTX870M and i am really worried about the temperatures it is producing.
I am using the MSI Gaming Center program that came with the laptop to view temps and i discovered today that after playing GTA IV (with modifications) that the cpu temp was at 90C!
The GPU was around there too but it lowered quickly down to 50C and the cpu temp is still sitting at 70C right now..
I remember when i first got this thing it used to sit at 40c idle cpu and like 35c GPU
When i turn it on it stays at 40c cpu and 35c gpu but if i play GTA IV the temps go up fast.
I do not have a laptop cooler? would that help in this situation?
I just got it in May
Thanks!

Although a cooler will help some, I'm thinking the laptop will need to be opened up and cleaned also. Just to make sure, when gaming you are working on a hard flat surface and not a blanket or your bed (or lap either for that matter since that can block airflow too)

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Yes im using it on a coffee table do you think i need to open and clean it because i just got it like 20 days ago?

nkhaira

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

I dont mind getting a cooling fan but opening the laptop and applying paste seem weird to me since i got like only 20 days ago?

If this is a near new unit, I think your inquiries should be going to MSI at this point - unless you have a lot of pets (or are in a very dusty area) you should not be experiencing heat problems already. For some reason I had assumed it was a used laptop.
I'll suggest holding off on opening the laptop until you've talked to MSI - see what they have to say