MSI GT70PH vs ASUS G750JH vs Alienware new 17inch

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hallo, I am deciding to buy a high power gaming laptop as a gift..i am stuck between MSI GT70PH and ASUS G750JH. The Alienware laptops in Germany are too pricey. Around 2500 Euros for a 17inch nVidia 765 2GB GDDR5 card laptop.

MSI GT70PH : http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/msi+gt70ph+8041221b+gaming+notebook
ASUS G750JH : http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/notebooks/asus+notebooks/republic+of+gamers/asus+g750jh+t4080h+gaming+notebook

Both cost around the same and their specs seem too similar. So wondering what is the difference in their performance, reliability, customer service, etc? Also, is the MSI GT70PH laptop's 12 GB RAM split into 3 x 4GB RAM's or 8+4GB RAM? Because depending on that, I will have add a RAM as well.

Thank you in advance for all your help!

There is one difference that may be worthy of consideration. The Asus machine features the i7-4700HQ CPU which is soldered to the motherboard and not easily replaceable. The MSI machine features the i7-4700MQ which is replaceable/upgradeable without much effort (provided MSI provides support for that). I could find no information on how the MSI's ram is configured but typically it would be one 4GB and one 8GB stick - I would think 12GB would be plenty though, I've not come close to using that much on my gaming machine

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Yeah..if it's soldered then that is a problem...I just got a mail saying that the config for the MSI GT70 is 8+4 = 12 GB RAM. The size is enough for gaming use but what I am worried about is the layout because it's 2 different RAM sizes, I fear it will not be stable or perform as well as normal. There is also something called dual channel or latency when working with RAM's...can anyone elaborate on that?

C12Friedman and Iceclock - Thank you for your replies.

Interestingly to me, laptop manufacturers often mix ram sizes, I have personal theories why but no real knowledge to share there. The systems are stable though.
About dual channel function with different sized ram, 8GB would operate in dual channel mode while the other 4GB would operate in single channel mode, seems strange to me but again, it is apparently a stable configuration.
CAS latency is a number that represents a delay in cycles from the time the memory controller request data to it's delivery, a lower CAS number is better (oversimplified)

luckyman1

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
@Mirrorflame, Please let me know about your decision and explain it a little.

I'm deciding to purchase a huge performance laptop for work and sometimes gaming.
Display: 17" or more (best and supporting 3D is huge)
CPU: Intel i7 (best)
Graphic: Nvidia (More than good)

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I bought an MSI GT70 because it had the best specifications for the best price. Performance is awesome. I can run any software or game - even the gorgeous but graphics hungry Total War Rome 2, BF4, etc at maximum graphics for a few hours continously. The heating problem can be solved by doing three things : 1) Use a cooling pad that suits the ventilation system - I use a CoolerMaster U3, my friend uses a single huge fan to cover the entire base of the laptop - make your choice. 2) Use the Cooler FullBlast option to cool down your system really quickly - it's noisy but you get used to the sound. Also, you don't need to run it for more than 10 minutes at a time. 3) Shutdown the sytem for about 10 after 2 hours of really heavy usage - it's good for the system and for you. Alongwith proper maintenance - cleaning the ventilation unit, having thermal paste re-applied whenever necessary, etc - you will have no problems with this laptop.