MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G won't make it past the MSI Splash screen

Nick_D

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
This issue has been plaguing me for months and forcing me to stay on Windows 8 instead of 10. I was running Windows 10 on my laptop (I upgraded to it when it first came out in summer of 2015) and a few weeks after being on 10 my MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G wouldn't turn off and the screen was black. So I hold down the power button and it turns off. I press the power button again to turn it back on and it starts up like normal, but it stays on the splash screen and the dots just go around in circles. I tried to turn it off and on again and it still never got past that splash screen. I did a clean install of windows 10 on it using a USB key after to just see if it was some issue with my version of the OS and it'd install and I logged in for the first time and it was fine. Then I hit shutdown and it says shutting down and then the screen goes black, but the LED indicator light for power is still on. So I have to force shut down again. I turn it back on and it does the same thing where it goes to the splash screen, dots go in circles. So I hit F3 after restarting it again to get into recovery options and I do a factory reset on that sucker. It boots 8.1 fine, I log in, I am able to shut it down correctly, it boots back into 8.1 correctly. So I upgrade to Windows 10 once more and it boots into 10. I shut it down, same issue. It seems to only be when Windows 10 is on it now and I really hate 8 and don't want to have to go back to it. So what do you believe the issue is?

Thanks, Nick.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running a test with your HDD because it's more likely the cause of it always getting stuck on the MSI splash screen.
- Next is to install the latest BIOS update from MSI support site.
- Here's the link where you can download it from.
- http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/support/GT72-2QE-Dominator-Pro.html
- Check firmware updates as well and install all available one there is.

Nick_D

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

I want to try to update my BIOS to see if it fixes my W10 issue, I put the bios with the bin on a flashdrive, go through the steps MSI has and it says it will shut down to update and I say OK and my laptop powers down, but when it boots back up it doesn't go to the BIOS utility, it instead goes to Windows 8.1 and the BIOS isn't updated. Any advice?

How do I test my HDD?
And the OS is installed on the SSD, not the HDD. Do you still believe that the HDD could be the issue?

TRENDING THREADS