Question MSI GX70 3BE + Toshiba L200 HDD = failed upgrade?

Aug 21, 2019
I have this old laptop - MSI GX70 3BE. Upgraded HDD recently from some WD Blue 1Tb to Toshiba L200 2Tb.

L200 was tested on PC via USB 3.0 enclosure and managed to show stable 125Mb/sec at both directions with hundreds of Gb transferred in one go (more than a hour job). But once inside a laptop it usually doesn't go over 90Mb/sec mark, and after a minute or so of copying it gets weird: HDD active time goes 100% and average response time in task manager goes over 2000ms while speed drops to 20-40Mb/sec and overall system performance drops down significantly. Same stuff happens on both Windows 7 and 10 and I think it was happening with old WD Blue drive, so the problem could be very old. At first it looks like bad sectors or something, but the drive is new. It was manufactured one month ago and works perfectly on another PC.

Can there be done anything to make this HDD work properly in my laptop? Maybe some hidden setting in Windows or a chipset driver that isn't mentioned on MSI site?

I've updated my BIOS to latest version available on MSI site, because it mentioned something about "SATA Gen3 speed", but problem is still there..
Windows Defender is turned off - laptop started to work faster, but HDD problem persists.
I'm not planning to change it to SSD, as there is already one in for the system, and this HDD is there mostly for downloading stuff, so big and long-living HDD fits the purpose better. At least it will once the problem is solved.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 3
T Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 2
H Laptop Tech Support 4
T Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 1