Question MSI Laptop crashed and now wont BIOS.

Nov 17, 2020
I was running my laptop like normal until it froze out of nowhere, I decided the best course of action would be to turn it off and reboot. So i powered off from the button on the laptop, and when i went to turn it back on again, it would power up with a black screen, and restart after around 5~8 seconds. I decided from there that I should unplug everything (external monitor, keyboard, usb hub etc...) and wait to see if it was just an overheating thing. I waited a while until it was cool and attempted to boot the laptop back up, it was doing the same on off routine so i held down the power button as per someones suggestion on another forum and now it's just running blank w/ no bios or anything. I know it's also not booted into an OS because my keyboard & mouse aren't lit up and when plugged into an external monitor it shows nothing. I'm stuck and i really don't want this $1400 to go down the drain.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See page 2-11 of the manual to reset the device. See if that helps.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/16JF+16JE+179F+179E_v1.0_English.zip

Battery Reset Hole
Whenever the system firmware (EC) is upgraded or the system hangs, please 1)
power off the notebook; 2) remove the AC power; 3) use a straightened paperclip to
insert this hole for 10 sec; 4) connect the AC power; 5) power on the notebook.

Also, what is your battery status? Is it charged? Does your power supply get warm when connected to your laptop?

Nov 17, 2020
See page 2-11 of the manual to reset the device. See if that helps.

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/16JF+16JE+179F+179E_v1.0_English.zip

Battery Reset Hole
Whenever the system firmware (EC) is upgraded or the system hangs, please 1)
power off the notebook; 2) remove the AC power; 3) use a straightened paperclip to
insert this hole for 10 sec; 4) connect the AC power; 5) power on the notebook.

Also, what is your battery status? Is it charged? Does your power supply get warm when connected to your laptop?
As far as I know the battery is fine, the light isn't blinking to indicate failure and is off to show full battery or being plugged in. The reset didn't work.

Edit: I should also mention that the fans sound lower pitched than usual, and they're more "wobbly" than usual as well.

Last edited: