Question MSI Laptop Ultrawide Monitor - Stretched - Can't change resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2022
Hi,
I have a MSI Gaming Laptop i5 with an Intel HD Graphics and a Nvidid Geforce RTX. I recently bought a 34" ultrawide monitor but the display on the second monitor is stretched. In display settings I can see that both the laptop screen and the ultrawide are both set to the Intel card with no option to use Nvidia. It looks like the Intel is HDMI 1 only and max resolution is 1920x1080 which is no good for the ultrawide. I tried using the Nvidia control panel and forcing pretty much everything to use Nvidia, but both screens are still using Intel and either only using a part of the ultrawide screen in a decent resolution or it stretches to fill the whole screen, making everything wonky. How to I force the screens to use Nvidia and enable me to improve the resolution so I can effectively use the ultrawide? THanks!

redtrash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
Usually from the BIOS you can pick the graphic card you want to be used as default. Most of the time is in "auto" that means that is managed by windows/software.
Take a look

EDIT: btw, your modern i5 integrated APU cannot be limited to FHD resolution (my i5 4100u can support 4K, can yours too) but the HDMI port can, so maybe your laptop HDMI port is limited to FHD, or is your HDMI cable.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a MSI Gaming Laptop i5 with an Intel HD Graphics and a Nvidid Geforce RTX. I recently bought a 34" ultrawide monitor but the display on the second monitor is stretched. In display settings I can see that both the laptop screen and the ultrawide are both set to the Intel card with no option to use Nvidia. It looks like the Intel is HDMI 1 only and max resolution is 1920x1080 which is no good for the ultrawide. I tried using the Nvidia control panel and forcing pretty much everything to use Nvidia, but both screens are still using Intel and either only using a part of the ultrawide screen in a decent resolution or it stretches to fill the whole screen, making everything wonky. How to I force the screens to use Nvidia and enable me to improve the resolution so I can effectively use the ultrawide? THanks!

If you are duplicating the screens, it will use the lowest resolution of the two screens. If you want the wide screen to be it's native resolution you need to extend the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.