Solved! MSI Laptop won't power on, charging led remained lit

Oct 10, 2021
Hi, I have owned an MSI laptop for about a year now, and this morning I tried to power it on as usual, as the night before I had left it on my desk with the lid open and let it go to sleep. When I attempted to power it on, the power button LED and the entire computer showed no activity. When I plugged it in, the charging indicator lit up, and would turn off if I held the power button for a few seconds, before turning back on. After a couple hours, the charging LED ceased to light up, and now there is no activity at all from the laptop.

I have tried a number of things, including removing the battery, holding the power button, then attempting to power it back on both with the charger and the battery alone. I have also tried reseating the RAM, but to no avail. The laptop does not appear to have a CMOS battery, so I am unable to attempt to replace it.

The model number is MS-16P7. Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Solution
MSI-16Y1 (Chiklet) CMOS battery replacement | Tom's Guide Forum (tomsguide.com)
From what this guy says, hold down the power button for 15 seconds when there is no CMOS battery.

The charging light likely turned off after a few hours because the battery is fully charged- assuming the battery was in the laptop when you left it plugged in.

I agree with the above post- It's either the power supply (Although from what I just said if the battery was connected when the charging LED turned off, that's unlikely) or the motherboard.

Try using your warranty if you have one.

BEAUFORD_SAVAGE

Respectable
Sep 6, 2020
  1. does the fan turn on? Really any activity at all?
  2. Do you have a meter to check the power supply? That would be 1st thing is to check the power supply.
  3. sounds like you tried booting with no battery, power supply only? If so, see 2) above.
if it is totally dead when trying to boot with no battery, NO signs of life.....again see 2) above.
We can take it from there.

mrmike16

Honorable
MSI-16Y1 (Chiklet) CMOS battery replacement | Tom's Guide Forum (tomsguide.com)
From what this guy says, hold down the power button for 15 seconds when there is no CMOS battery.

The charging light likely turned off after a few hours because the battery is fully charged- assuming the battery was in the laptop when you left it plugged in.

I agree with the above post- It's either the power supply (Although from what I just said if the battery was connected when the charging LED turned off, that's unlikely) or the motherboard.

Try using your warranty if you have one.

Solution