Question MSI PE70 6QE blank screen

Feb 10, 2020
Hi I have a PE70 6QE laptop which was sitting unused but plugged in and now the screen won't come on. External screens don't work either.
It is turning on-keyboard lights up,hard drive, fan and cd all working away.
So far I have tried removing the battery and resetting by both removing small battery and pressing ec reset switch. Also tried different hard drive and changing memory. I just can't figure it out! I haven't updated bios or anything-it just stopped working after not being used for around 4 weeks. Would it being left plugged in be the cause and how do I fix it if so?
I don't see this as an option tho as it's still getting power and everything works except no screen. Even external monitor won't work.
Anyone have any ideas? I've looked through others who have similar problems but they all have a different cause-like updating bios-and I've already tried all the tips they have received with no luck.
Please help with any suggestions you may have. I bought it 2nd hand so no warranty or anything. It was working fine until left for 4 weeks with plug in. Though as I mentioned everything is receiving power and working away except the screen, external as well. Is it possible that the graphic chip has burned out? I don't see this as the cause tho as it would have entered sleep mode so graphic chip wouldn't have 'been under pressure '
Any help would be much appreciated - thank you -- Psi

You didn't mention what kind of screen you are trying it on (external) which could be effecting testing it. Make sure it is a device that will work with that laptop and will show the display (if it was working correctly). Also, make sure you are doing it the following way...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Should none of this show you anything on the laptops display or the external one, then the you likely have either a GPU problem, or worse a motherboard problem, and would need replacing.

Feb 10, 2020
You didn't mention what kind of screen you are trying it on (external) which could be effecting testing it. Make sure it is a device that will work with that laptop and will show the display (if it was working correctly). Also, make sure you are doing it the following way...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Should none of this show you anything on the laptops display or the external one, then the you likely have either a GPU problem, or worse a motherboard problem, and would need replacing.
Yes I have tried all that. I have tried hdmi lead on TV and also a computer monitor which worked before. I just can't understand why it would just develop a problem after working fine then not being used for 4 weeks.
There must be something I am missing
Is there any way to check if it it's he graphic card that is the problem.
When I connect it by hdmi the TV picks up some signal but still no picture. I know this because once I disconnect hdmi it says check cable connection - this message goes away when I reconnect it so some signal must be getting sent.
Thanks for quick reply but have you or anyone else any other suggestions?
Psi

Feb 10, 2020
Could it be that the settings for graphic output have been changed to a format the screen can't handle? Like resolution too high? My daughter is possible cause of this.
But then control-shift-windows-b should reset this should it not?
Also external monitor won't work so it's even more unlikely - just grasping at straws at this stage.
I just can't see the graphics card failing when it wasn't being used. Also there were no signs like faded or blurred screen.
It was simply left plugged in for 4 weeks unused. Well maybe my daughter used it but she wouldn't normally mess with settings. She's denying all knowledge of course.