Multiple inputs to single set of speakers

deveshjp

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Hi,
I want to be able to connect multiple sources to a single set of speakers (2.0).

Input Sources:
PC
PS3

So my PS3 is connected to my monitor via HDMI. The Monitor audio out goes into my PC lin in. My PC audio out goes to the speakers so I am able to hear both my PS3 and PC on the speakers.

The issue I have with the above is that my PC has to be switched on for me to listen when I'm playing PS3. I want to be able to play my PS3 and listen without the PC being switched on.

I was wondering if there are any solutions which will allow me to play my PS3 without having to switch my PC on.

The speakers I have are Creative T20s so I'm aware they have the aux in and the headphone jack.

But I have a couple of other things I am attempting to do at the same time:
I'm thinking to of introducing in a 3.5 mm dual female to single male jack to the aux. in of the speakers and connecting:
1. My ipod shuffle via 3.5 mm (no bluetooth functionality in this ipod)
2. A bluetooth receiver for other devices

The only thing I can think of doing is switching between my bluetooth receiver and the PS3/Monitor audio out?

I could also buy 2x 3.5 mm dual female to single male jack and plug one into the other and then into the speakers giving me the option of 3 additional inputs (bluetooth receiver, ipod, and PS3) but wasn't sure if this would damage the speakers at all?

A bluetooth receiver is my lowest priority; but if possible I'd like to incorporate into the solution.

Note all my cabling is 3.5 mm auxs.

Would appreciate any advice/solutions!

Thanks

-- Update with another product possible based on recommendation from SSDDX --

Hi,
All credit to SSDDX for the solution. As I'm in the UK, it took me a while to find the products SSDDX suggested. The one from eBay was coming from S.Korea (I didn't want to deal with returns procedures in case faulty), and the other I couldn't find a link for on amazon UK unfortunately.

After a long hard search, I came across this which I managed to soure from the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-channel-mono-stereo-passive-mixer-distributor-for-ipad-volca-modular-synth-etc-/301918967006?

I do notice the occassional crackling when I've plugged my devices in, but nothing too major (to the ears of a newbie anyways). Anyways the other reason I like this product is because it is passive (no additional power and therefore no extra cables). I would therefore recommend the product, but depending on your requirements and if you can actually get your hands on the product the Rolls mixer SSDDX suggested seems good too as it allows you to control volume levels for each device.

Solution
two ways of doing it...

option A
s-l1000.jpg

4 in 1 out 3.5mm switch

placed right before the speakers.

A- pc input
B- ps3 input from monitor
C- mp3 input
D- aux input from receiver, etc

this would work to get audio from all sources except getting both ps3 sound and pc sound at the same time. for that i would run through the pc using aux in by swapping the cable or putting a simple 2:1 switch on the 3.5mm output with one end A going to pc with the other end B going to the other splitter. this would be a simple push button switch configuration without needing to unplug cables.

option B
41kQV8BG3WL._SL256_.jpg

two ways of doing it...

option A
s-l1000.jpg

4 in 1 out 3.5mm switch

A- pc input
C- mp3 input

this would work to get audio from all sources except getting both ps3 sound and pc sound at the same time. for that i would run through the pc using aux in by swapping the cable or putting a simple 2:1 switch on the 3.5mm output with one end A going to pc with the other end B going to the other splitter. this would be a simple push button switch configuration without needing to unplug cables.

option B
41kQV8BG3WL._SL256_.jpg

4 channel mini 3.5mm mixer

A- pc input
C- mp3 input

to get different audio sources at the same time just mix with the volume knobs.

price will be higher than a simple switch but may be the better solution given that you want to listen to different audio sources at the same time.

option B i would say is likely what would work better in your situation.

Solution

deveshjp

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

Hi ssddx!

Thanks so much for your exhaustive solutions, appreciate it! I should have been a bit clearer at the start, I want the options to play via various sources but currently am not interested in mixing them together at the same time, so in the first solution you mentioned trying to get PC and PS3 to play at the same time, do you mean having both sounds overlapping right??

Thanks!
D

by multiple sources at once i meant overlapping sound. as in you play your ps3 and hear game sounds but have the pc on and can use and hear skype chat from there.

if you need simultaneous input from multiple sources a mixer works best. if you need just one at a time a switch is cheaper.

deveshjp

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

thank you so much!