Multiple Internet Explorer Processes IE & screen problems

LinusVP999

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hello,

I've tried searching for an answer in the forums, but didn't come up with anything... hopefully I'm not repeating.

Over the last couple of months, 5 or so users at our company have had problems with IE8 on their computer, and I just experienced it a few hours ago.

In normal operations, the computer seems to 'freeze', but it's actually the screen quits refreshing... you minimize a window (any program), it actually minimizes, but it 'looks like' it's still on the screen. You can bring it back up by clicking on the task button.

Since the screen is odd like this, nothing on the desktop is accessible.

For each person this happens to, if you go to the task manager, there are 2, 3 or 4 iexplore.exe processes running, but Internet Explorer is not open anymore.

Ending one process ends the rest of them, and then things 'catch up' on the computer (screen redraws and everything works).

I'm at a loss at what this could be. Anyone experience the same problem?

We currently use Windows XP Professional on all our systems, IE8, AVG 8.5 or 9, Office 2003 and 2007.

Sorry for the lengthy description, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Oh, 5 different model dell laptops (e6400, d610, d620), so different graphics cards and such.

Thanks!

LinusVP999

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi.

I haven't been able to get a requested screen shot as of yet as it's an intermittent problem. I'll try to get one. It seems to happen most often after someone clicks a link in an e-mail or Tweetdeck that opens up a new IE instance.