Murdered: Soul Suspect Possessed with Too Much Dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Too much dialogue sounds like your classic japanese/korean game. I don't personally like it, but I guess some people do because games from eastern asia have had tons of dialogue for as long as I can remember.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
To go off what fudoka711 is saying, there is a subset of "games" that are called visual novels. Furthermore there are far more dating-sim games in Japan, so in all they're much more used to games that are heavy, if not entirely, into dialogue and not much in the way of what we in the west might consider gaming. It's certainly different, not for everyone. This game doesn't seem to be quite at that level though. It's just the early setup phase of the story where they try to establish what's going on.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm glad to hear of this now, because I cannot stand "conversation games". At one point I was looking forward to playing "The Longest Journey" after reading about all the hype surrounding the game, before I was totally turned off and bored to death a few hours in, listening to incessant drivel. If I want to do that, I'll download a podcast; if I start up a game, I want to play an actual game. That said, my wife will surely love it since she adores Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Max Payne 3, etc. As for me, I'll pass. Thanks for the warning, Tom's.

dbaaz

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hope it isn't worse than Metal Gear Solid 4 which suffered from verbal diarrhea and contained a one hour cutscene.

I wouldn't mind games with a lot of dialogue. If they actually had a good plot, were well written and had decent voice acting. Of all the games I have played the writing is about as good as the worst Hollywood hack jobs. LA Noire had some of the best writing I have seen but it was still sub par.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Sounds like Bioware too. SWTOR is horrible with bloated dialogue. To say 'Yup, go get em', they can literally take four cut-sceens and a dramatic moment... Holy crap... I don't even watch their dialogue anymore for anything after the first two toons. And I have 12 toons. The game is ehh but the storys are bleh. If this is like that, I'll pass.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I get the feeling dialog is cheaper than music so that's why it's shoe-horned in.

Depends who does it. Bioware spent the bulk of their $ of the SWTOR game budget on the dialogue, acting (voice), etc. Ridiculous IMHO. Accounts put it from 150-300M, general consensus puts it at $200M... Just for voice acting... An example:

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a358925/star-wars-the-old-republic-handed-guinness-record-for-voice-acting.html#~oBDJrIK61OLznt

So no, it's not cheaper then music for sure. Might depend how it's done but, getting actors for voice overs... No.

Status
Not open for further replies.