Murderer's Request for D&D in Prison Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Quote: "the prison instigated the ban amid concerns that it encouraged gang-related activity" My gang has a level 5 wizard, a lvl4 ranger and a lvl 6 Paladin. Better recognize or we will pump you full of magic missiles punk! Pure awesome.

G

"with a sledgehammer+1."

sorry I don't know how you were able to restrain yourself from writing that

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The point is... his attorney said it violated his client's free speech. The Constitution states that you can have your rights removed with "due process" (i.e. going to court.) Since he's in jail for murder, he apparently had his day in court and due process said it was okay to take away his "free speech."

No game for you. Beating someone to death with a hammer = bad. No experience points for you!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm kind of curious as to WHY he killed his sister's boyfriend. If the guy was an abusive jerk, then I kinda sympathize (I don't condone what he did, but I can't fault him for being protective).

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]zily[/nom]"with a sledgehammer+1."sorry I don't know how you were able to restrain yourself from writing that[/citation]

Omg i scrolled down to write this too.. hahaha

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
A prison inmate, having been convicted of violating the rights of another(s), implicitly gives up his own rights. He's got NONE, with a possible exception of the right to his person (i.e. if raped, the rapist should be put down like an animal); as a ward of the State, he may have rights to a minimal standard of care. Freedom of speech not included. His lawyer in this instance should face disbarrment proceedings for wasting taxpayer money and time.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Eh, to be fair it's pretty stupid to take away D&D materials because of "gang-related activity." Are they allowed to play any games whether board or card or anything? If so, it's a bad double standard. And I assume they're allowed to read books? Personally, if I were running a prison, I'd want to encourage people to take part in social activities or personal hobbies that don't involve killing and raping each other.

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Eh, to be fair it's pretty stupid to take away D&D materials because of "gang-related activity." Are they allowed to play any games whether board or card or anything? If so, it's a bad double standard. And I assume they're allowed to read books? Personally, if I were running a prison, I'd want to encourage people to take part in social activities or personal hobbies that don't involve killing and raping each other.[/citation]

more than likely, they just wanted that to be the reason to take it away if they had to explain themselves.

but, i've know people that take DnD so seriously that they'd probably kill, or at least assault, and DM that would curse their character or give them any type of actual challenge.

naturally, when i DM players like that, i make them furious, because it's so funny to see them fall to pieces over a character sheet.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Will people STFU about "not a tech article" Jesus Christ.

Don't click on the link then!?

Why bitch about this kind of thing?

Do you own the site?

Is having a non tech related but also quite interesting story on a news feed some sort of crime where you come from?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]zily[/nom]"with a sledgehammer+1."sorry I don't know how you were able to restrain yourself from writing that[/citation]

You mean a +5 Unholy Burst Sledgehammer of Thunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.