Music Imperfections From PC

psillyme

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I have a custom built PC that I built last year, all relatively mid-high end components, with above average consumer home audio electronics (Denon3310CI receiver, APC power conditioner, Axiom M80's, QS8, EP500, and VP150. Audio card is an eClaro, and have a 6 core AMD processor with 6 GB DDR3 RAM and main operating programs are on a SSD via Windows 7 Ultimate 64). I use my PC as my media hub, and do absolutely all my music listening strictly through my PC, except the rare CD through a BDP. Most of the music I really care about is in FLAC, VBR, VBR-0-, or WAV. I have changed audio programs numerous times over the years to accommodate my appreciably large library, but the issue follows. I shall note that my speakers SHOULD be amped, but to compensate they are bi-amped. Audio out is through a digital toslink connection.

Now, the problem. I don't know if I am just being really picky, which is possible, or if there is a legit problem with audio output. What is happening is that on certain songs, there is a slight crackling, that seems like it shouldn't be there, almost like the sound is stressed. Its not on a specific note or tone, but consistently on the same songs, in the same spot, even on high quality rips. It did it on old PC builds too, but is far less on this one.

Its not a huge deal, but giving the thousands I have spent on my PC and sound system, I expect there to never be any stressing, unless it is because they are under powered. I live in an apartment now, and cannot justify spending money on an amp, especially with my tastes.

Help? Or did I answer my own question?

Solution
Have you tried to listen to them on a different setup? First thing would be to eliminate the files as the culprit. Is it only to specific tracks that are consistently crackling?

As for your system, the Denon is "underpowered" so to speak. It can put out the watts, but since your front mains are 4 ohms the AVR might not be able to put out the amount of current needed. This may be the reason but if it was you'd expect it to be a problem for most everything played at the same listening level. Even if it turns out to be something else, you'll probably want to get a dedicated amp for your mains that can handle the 4 ohm load as it will probably degrade the Denon's (and alot of other AVRs) lifespan if used at moderate to high output...

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
A crackling sound can be caused by clipping (in the digital signal).
This can be baked into the files (poor mastering is sadly common), or can be introduced with any kind of digital amplification. Some apps can boost volume above 100%; equalizers can cause clipping if you don't know what you're doing; replaygain will do it too on certain tracks (again, depending on your settings).
If you use any of those settings, try lowering/disabling them and see if it has any effect. Lower Windows' system volume, too.
If the problem is analog then i'm afraid i can't be of much help.

EDIT: What software are you using?

psillyme

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I am currently using MusicBee, but am mildly dissatisfied with it as it causes my system to hang and BSOD at times. Its really the main thing that holds my system back from being a total beast. I had the EQ on, but not active, if that makes sense; I turned it off since it wasn't being used. I don't quite grasp the true concept of gain (I just Wiki'ed it), but it was on "Smart Gain", and I opted to turn it to "track gain" so that it would pull any potential gain info just for the file being played.

However, after just reading:

"and just to clarify something that you may already understand (sorry if i'm pointing out something you already know) but the difference between the settings is that track gain and album gain use their respective gain tags, whilst smart gain (provided that you have both gain tags calculated) uses the album gain metadata when playing by album and the track gain metadata when playing individual songs (e.g. shuffling tracks at random). i.e. depending on your play mode, the most appropriate volume compensation is always used. its a very subtle but fantastic feature. "

which was pulled from the Music Bee forum. It seems that Smart Gain is where it should be left. And honestly, I really don't think it is clipping. The music isn't loud when it is being played... But is it possible, even at lower levels of listening, that the front towers still aren't getting enough power? Maybe I will consult with the guys at Axiom and see what they say. Also, I highly doubt that it is a poor master. These guys that produce the music I listen to are insane music nerds that live in the realm of electronic music, mainly ambient and downtempo. It really is a minor problem, but its annoying when it happens. Though, I will say that it seems like I need to turn the volume up on my receiver more than I feel like I should need to, especially in such a tiny room. Maybe I need a new receiver.? I guess the music does sound stressed, so maybe an amp would prove to be useful. Hmmm. Thoughts?

ien2222

Distinguished
My first thought was perhaps a bad rip. Since it only seems to happen on specific tracks and not others it could be that it had problems. Usually this occurs when there's scratches and the error correction isn't working properly on the disk drive. This might not be the issue but it's something to look at.

Are we to assume that if you put the original disk into your BDP that you don't have this problem?

psillyme

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

Honestly, they are downloaded tracks. There is an audible difference between FLAC and a CD. However, after further reading, I am wondering if it is possibly poor set up in my receiver, and of course possible under powered front towers. I have made some adjustments to my receiver crossover settings, and will take a listen when I have time. Its a major bummer not being able to really have my stereo properly set up, since I live in an apartment. Also, I should state that I am NOT bi-amping as aforementioned, but rather bi-wiring using two outputs per channel. I've honestly read so much the last couple hours, that I am starting to confuse myself and get a little dizzy. Haha.

ien2222

Distinguished
Have you tried to listen to them on a different setup? First thing would be to eliminate the files as the culprit. Is it only to specific tracks that are consistently crackling?

As for your system, the Denon is "underpowered" so to speak. It can put out the watts, but since your front mains are 4 ohms the AVR might not be able to put out the amount of current needed. This may be the reason but if it was you'd expect it to be a problem for most everything played at the same listening level. Even if it turns out to be something else, you'll probably want to get a dedicated amp for your mains that can handle the 4 ohm load as it will probably degrade the Denon's (and alot of other AVRs) lifespan if used at moderate to high output. You'd just use the preouts on the Denon to the amp.

I suppose a quick test to see if the fronts/AVR is the cause would be to hook your rears up to the front L/R and see if you still get the problem, since they are listed at 8 ohm it won't be a problem.

Solution

psillyme

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

I am definitely aware of the shortened lifespan of the receiver, but have not been in a position to buy an amp. I will start compiling a list of songs that I have issues with , and maybe check out YT and see if the problem follows. I did e-mail Axiom, so hopefully they will have some input. Thanks for you help, appreciate it. :)

If you open the file with Audacity you will be able to see if the file itself is clipped. You can see if the volume exceeds the maximum level. I think it will show in red. You would think that this would be impossible with a digitally copied file but I have seen it. How loud you are actually playing the file will not affect this. If the problem is not enough power than a lower volume will eliminate the problem.
Try playing the file with freeware such as Audacity, Mediamonkey, or Foobar.

vidnbd

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
my receiver, and of course possible under powered front towers. I have made some adjustments to my receiver crossover settings, and will take a listen when I have time. Its a major bummer not being able to really have my stereo properly set up, since I live in an apartment. Also, I should state that I