MVNOs: what are they and what are the best options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2022
Visible - Don't bother with these guys any longer :mad:
I've been a visible customer for years and they were great... Verizon just bought them out and immediately I have a concern and customer service rep could care less. They aren't even shy about it, they just don't offer a solution.
Also don't trust their refurbished/used devices, they list them by condition (good, excellent, mint etc) and apparently that has no real meaning, and they don't stand behind them, nothing but a 14 day return policy that you have to beg for.
I can testify that Ting and Mint are better alternatives as of 12/8/22

Mar 2, 2023
I've recently switched back to Verizon because i need international coverage but spent almost 2 years with US Mobile (Verizon towers) with mostly success. A year ago I would have said it's a disadvantage not to be able to walk into a store etc., but in the past year, Verizon has REALLY trimmed back the store experience and started adding charges for everything like $30 to transfer your phone. US Mobile seems to be widely used by many people I know, is there a reason you didn't include it? Just curious - no wrong answer.

TheQ42

Estimable
Feb 24, 2020
In 2018, a study was done showing that MVNOs were ~23% slower with data speeds than going directly with any of the carriers. This is likely due to prioritization. The thing that never seems to be pointed out in articles like this is what happens when you're at a crowded event. Say you're at a car show or a baseball game . . . the local towers are congested, and, from what I understand, will prioritize traffic from direct customers (e.g., T-Mobile over Mint). Sometimes, even as a T-Mo customer, I am hurting for data speeds at events like this and people on Mint are likely getting unusably bad data speeds.

It's the one thing that keeps holding me back from switching to an MVNO. It also seems like the one thing that isn't going to change about it because the carriers want to keep their customers.

I would love to see an updated MVNO data speed study done . . .

Reactions: MMiller1000
Mar 2, 2023
In 2018, a study was done showing that MVNOs were ~23% slower with data speeds than going directly with any of the carriers. This is likely due to prioritization. The thing that never seems to be pointed out in articles like this is what happens when you're at a crowded event. Say you're at a car show or a baseball game . . . the local towers are congested, and, from what I understand, will prioritize traffic from direct customers (e.g., T-Mobile over Mint). Sometimes, even as a T-Mo customer, I am hurting for data speeds at events like this and people on Mint are likely getting unusably bad data speeds.

It's the one thing that keeps holding me back from switching to an MVNO. It also seems like the one thing that isn't going to change about it because the carriers want to keep their customers.

I would love to see an updated MVNO data speed study done . . .
Would also be interested in some kind of study, while challenging to get perfectly accurate with the variables, would be helpful. I did have US Mobile for almost 2 years - switched because of overseas travel and wanting more than wifi calling just in case. But overall a decent experience for the $. Back then, tried Mint at first until I realized TMobile was awful where I lived, so a TMobile MVNO would also stink. So starting point is knowing who your MVNO gets service through. Several friends now on Spectrum and love the service and price (they use Verizon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS