MW2's Story Was Bad Says Crysis 2 Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
he absolutely right.

i found the singleplayer to be immensely fun, but the story made no sense. you were just moving from place to place without ever knowing what was actually happening.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
He's a freaking moron - BC2s story is the one he should be bitching about. As fun as BC2 MP is, the SP story is a load of diamond encrusted horse crap.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
The story is definitely weak in MW2, the story has been suffering in so many games recently. Even Metro 2033, based on a great novel, had a disappointing story, not the novels fault it was just told poorly in the game. Though, Metro 2033 made up for that in atmosphere to a certain extent.

Weak stories and short single player (5 hour campaign in Splinter Cell Convictions, anyone?) are the factors that are killing a lot of games for me, mostly console games.

I'm sorry, pretty visuals and decent gameplay do not make up for a poor story line, because under-neath it all I have to actually care.

blacksins

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
first comment :) well call of duty 4 was better of course in all the aspects.. but the storyline in Modern Warfare 2 is very beautiful! not like call of duty 4 but not less.. Multiplayer experience is totally destroyed and ripped down to consoles-level.

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I agree with AMW1011. Whatever happened to games with GREAT storylines? Good writing seems to be relegated to the RPG genre at the moment, but good RPG's are few and far between (Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Oblivion come to mind). I'm nostalgic for the golden age of adventure gaming with titles like The Dig, Bioforge, and... hell... even Space Quest (1 through 4).

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I played both Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. Am I the only one who thinks MW2 was Activision's version of the NVidia strategy of selling us the exact same product with a different name and meaningless changes? I just didn't see enough of new stuff to justify calling it a second installment and definitly not something worth another $60 or so.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Like most other people posting, I thought MW2's story was pretty bad, too.

And as far as BC2 goes, the story was absolutely horrible, but who actually buys a battlefield game for the single player? Every battlefield game has had terrible stories. You expect it. MW1 had a great story, so you expected better. Not really an excuse for BC2, but something to keep in mind.

nenito

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
The only reason COD4 is considered better is because it brought something new. MW2 is just a sequel, i dont see it as a failure just not something groundbreaking, IMO MW2 is on par with COD4 in terms of story, but for me, MW2 has the greatest set pieces I have ever seen, especially the burning white house, i literally got had goose bumps in that scenario

bwilliam13

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
He obviously didn't play the first one or pay attention to the story. Everything was tied together and pretty easy to understand if you actually played both games.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If i wanted a story id read a fucking book.... wait what am i talking about? video game stories are always amazing and entertaining...

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]may1[/nom]this dude can talk, only if Crysis 2's story is good; and TBH, the story in Crysis was bad.[/citation]

No worse than MW2, and in many ways better. Still bad though.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
The Crysis plot held up okay, but MW2 was just dreadful. Its like the game designers just made some pretty levels that were not related to each other at all, then tried, unsuccessfully, to tie them all together. It also didn't help that each level took only 5 minutes or so to finish with zero replayability rather than ones like Onslaught and Assault in the original Crysis that could take ages and even longer depending on the approach you took to to complete it.

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
MW2 got a writer's guild award? WHY? It is quite possibly the worst game story I have ever played through. How would the Russians have enough strength to invade the U.S. just after a civil war? How did the Russian planes get all the way across the united states without being seen? Do they have invisibility cloaks? I don't think so.

Crysis had a good story but only ok story telling. Crysis Warhead has a great story and awesome story telling. The third person cut scenes really added to the story.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
This guy didn't do the original Crysis. And both MW2, and BFBC2 stories are crap. The difference is that Battlefield isn't trying to be epic and believable, it's trying to be fun. Your in Bad Company for crying out loud.

MW2's story sucked a very large something. It's like they watched some action movies and got all of the cool parts together and then just made missions around a bunch of cool stuff they could do. Made no sense.

The writers at IW truly have no clue as to the reality of the status and abilities of the armed forces involved. Even at the height of the Soviet Union's power, the Soviet Navy was barely even a threat to the British Navy, nevermind the ginormous supercarrier-wielding US Navy. The only real threat was their boomers slipping through our nets. And while their army was enormous and powerful, their ability to project it anywhere but continental Europe and Asia was and remains almost non-existent. And then you add on the factor that all of that, especially their navy, has largely rusted away since '91... if they were to embark on a massive modernization, expansion, and buildup of their military RIGHT NOW, of bank-breaking proportions and to the detriment of all other spending, they still wouldn't stand a chance of mounting a successful invasion even of the UK by 2019, nevermind the continental United States.

Even assuming they did managed to magically turn off ALL early warning systems in the USA and drop troops, they'd be doomed to annihilation within a week. In order to maintain any foothold they'd gain, they would need heavy naval support, and they would need to have the ability to move large numbers of armor and combat aircraft in-theatre and keep them supplied. How are they gonna do that? They only have one carrier and that thing is a joke. None of their fighters could get here unless Canada decided to open their airports to invading aircraft (pretty freaking unlikely), I don't know how on earth they got attack helicopters in or kept them in play (they would have nowhere to resupply and their systems aren't compatible with ours so they couldn't even use captured arms), among many, many other things. You can't field a huge army without seeing to the logistics unless you want it to do a lot of damage for a very short period of time before they all run out of supplies and surrender.

The whole scenario is just impossible... the only reason it worked at all in in the movie Red Dawn was it involved a nuclear exchange at the start to soften the US up, and it was extrapolating off the Soviet military at the height of their power, something the Russia of today couldn't return to in 20 years, nevermind 10.

And then of course my favorite, Price launching and retargeting the missile (how?), and then it blows up the ISS which looks like it's somewhere over the Pacific, or maybe western USA. How the fire truck did a pressure wave from a bomb detonated over the northeastern US do that? You'd need a multigigaton antimatter bomb to put out that kind of shockwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.