my acer laptop does not recognize cd/dvd drive after installing windows10

ahsram411

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
after installing windows 10 update my optical drive and hard drive is not being recognized by my system. How can I reinstall these items and continue with windows 10 update? I have tried going to the registry, but not effective.

Solution
Hi ahsram441,

When you said it's not recognizing your optical drive is not listed under computer? If it is insert a disc and the optical drive icon should change letting you know that there's a disc inside the drive. If not please follow this steps:

1. Go to Device Manager then uninstall the Optical drive driver.
2. Press Windows + R together at the same time on your keyboard then once the Run box is open type in "regedit"
3. Once in Registry Editor expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
4. Expand SYSTEM after that expand CurrentControlSet
5. Expand Control and again expand Class.
6. Under Class please look for these set of number 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 then click it.
7. After you clicked on it on the right pane look for UpperFilters...
Hi ahsram441,

When you said it's not recognizing your optical drive is not listed under computer? If it is insert a disc and the optical drive icon should change letting you know that there's a disc inside the drive. If not please follow this steps:

1. Go to Device Manager then uninstall the Optical drive driver.
2. Press Windows + R together at the same time on your keyboard then once the Run box is open type in "regedit"
3. Once in Registry Editor expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
4. Expand SYSTEM after that expand CurrentControlSet
5. Expand Control and again expand Class.
6. Under Class please look for these set of number 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 then click it.
7. After you clicked on it on the right pane look for UpperFilters and LowerFilters then delete it. (if you were ask if you want to delete it just click yes)
8. Close everything out then reboot your PC, try to read some disc again after the reboot.

Solution

ahsram411

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
I went through all the steps, but when I got to step6, there was no numbers in the class folder only a box that opened up as new,find,key,binary, qword,dword. adv when I clicked the folder to expand it only comes up as local setting, and Muicache after that. Please advise

Matt_37

Estimable
Jan 1, 2016
Just to help spread the word on this, I have an Acer laptop with the same situation, and this solution - although scary for a non-programmer - worked!

For reassurance, I backed up that piece of the registry to my desktop before deleting, but all seems to be well.

Thanks, Laptop_Nerd!

Matt