Solved! My Alienware laptop won’t update or start up

Dec 25, 2018
I got an Alienware laptop from my brother for Christmas and when I try to start it up it has me enter country language and time zone then I connect to the Wifi and it starts an update but it’s been updating for 5 hours and if I leave it open I just turns off after so long and then restarts the update. What do I do?

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Turn off your WiFi, or take the laptop to an area where there isn't any WiFi. (If connected via Ethernet, unplug it.)
3. Turn on the laptop.
4. Once it fully loads, then turn on your WiFi again.

Sometimes (especially in 10) updates, including those that come after a reset, can get the computer stuck. It happens when an update fails, for whatever reason, and the device continually tries to get it to install over and over. Leaving you 'stuck'. Until you take away its ability to continue trying the update, hence the no WiFi, then it should load.
Try this...

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Turn off your WiFi, or take the laptop to an area where there isn't any WiFi. (If connected via Ethernet, unplug it.)
3. Turn on the laptop.
4. Once it fully loads, then turn on your WiFi again.

Sometimes (especially in 10) updates, including those that come after a reset, can get the computer stuck. It happens when an update fails, for whatever reason, and the device continually tries to get it to install over and over. Leaving you 'stuck'. Until you take away its ability to continue trying the update, hence the no WiFi, then it should load.

Solution

mwanthony

Great
Jan 30, 2019
try to look on the keyboard for the wifi key it should be like f3 or f4 or something like that. press it as soon as it is going into the os then shut it off by holding the power button in. see if the wifi stays off wen you power it back on. if that doesnt work call dell they are very helpfull

mwanthony

Great
Jan 30, 2019
in windows 10 updates can mess up pretty bad. that miggt be your problem you might have to make a windows 10 disc and rewrite it. if that doesnt work theres always windows 7 and gwx control panel.