I brought a 2nd hand 1TB HP external before christmas used it couple of times to transfer doc s and pics to, then yesterday I went to connect it to my laptop to add more pics but my laptop can't find it, doesn't show any drive letter [ other USB device's and external's show]. Looked for it in the Device Manager, not there under Disks so in a quandry, any assistance would be appreciated.(running Win 10)
Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First test would be to try different USB ports on your laptop and see if it be detected or not.
- Next is to try your external HDD on to a different PC and see if it will work.
- If it doesn't work with a different PC/laptop that means the external HDD is dead unfortunately.
- Do also try a different USB cable that may help as well and make sure it's seated properly.
- If all these will not that means the external HDD is broken already.