My ASUS laptop shuts off randomly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicah

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I just got my computer about 10 months ago and about 2 months ago it shut off randomly. I didn't get it looked at because it said it was doing updates so I thought that was why. Now it shuts off all the time. I've had it looked at by geek squad and the said it seemed fine to them but then just today it shut off again after I had it on for about 10 minutes. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Solution
ohh, well, if you try to touch the bottom for example, is it really hot?
try installing something like realtemp (among others), to see the temperature.

also, try to remember the last few updates/installations that you did. maybe its the culprit

Lee Lysene

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014

Babynomad

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Daniel Gagnon

Estimable
Sep 1, 2014
Has anybody been doing work on the computer? As in using Word and or Powerpoint, and has had their ASUS shut off, was your work still there once the computer rebooted? Because im a student and i use my laptop to write papers, i can't be doing work for three hours and just lose everything ive been working on. Has anybody encountered this situation and could tell me if the work is save or not, thanks!

Babynomad

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

dylan772

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Can't guarantee this will work for you, Go to your brand's support page and download the latest drivers. Don't assume that update software updated them. Go right down the list, starting with the bios. Be careful and follow the instructions exactly. You don't want to brick your laptop. Update the entire list. Good luck!

Babynomad

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Did all that - had 15months of continual problems with my Asus computer - In the end Asus gave me an RMA for a full refund - just unfortunate that I had used a $250 voucher that goodguys refused to refund.
So I went all out and bought a Lenovo - had it for 2 months now - and WOW!!!! No problems - can't believe Asus gave me sooooo much grief for 15months!

Oskar Le

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014

i dont know why the hell this lets me only quote your answer but to hell with it.

i have ASUS k53SV, its been like 3 years now. i have it on a nice cooling pad and cleaned inside recently, thermopaste is switched and new, everything is runnuni on stock. everything was OK until i did a major windows update. I had it turned off for a while because last time it messed some settings up and it frustrated me. So after that update it started to "pass out" just screen goes black, if i move mouse fast enough it wants my password and i can carry on. whather on battery or with Ac does not seem to affect it, temperature is Ok. Its really annoying. How can i fix that or i just roll back and live happily ever after?

Babynomad

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014

Babynomad

Estimable
Aug 29, 2014
After getting it back from service 5 times, windows was reinstalled from scratch each time.
I left it as is, factory default and I did the upgrade thing, and even upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1.:- always without success. In fact I had really decided it was me and my programs until the last time I got it back. Did nothing, installed nothing - not even antivirus, but still it shut down, all I was doing was playing windows solitaire for 7 minutes!
I bought a fan cooler, I checked it wasn't overheating and the motherboard had been replaced. In the end - admitted defeat and gave up.
Sorry - I don't believe anything can help :(

JTAK

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
I have had my Asus for 5 months, same exact thing happens with mine!
Shuts of with no warning randomly
It started about 3 weeks after I bought it.
Junk!

viivin

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

Hi Daniel,
I have the same problem. Nevertheless, you can always recover the office files from temp files. Even if you've over write on your original file, big brother keeps a copy of everything in your PC! Just search for "~" files. Here is the solution:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316951

However, coming back to the Asus shut down issue, mine does it too, and it's really annoying!

fixitlikeagirl

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
I had a similar issue. I just replaced the fan (connected to the heatsink) thinking that was the problem. But it still did the same, laptop shuts off when plugged in. I checked adapter, tried disabling processor in safe mode, tried taking out the battery while plugged in - the issue was still there after checking all these stuff... Then I remembered something I saw when replacing the fan/heatsink. The thermal compound (paste), in between the processor and heatsink was almost gone. So I went and bought the paste, removed the fan/heatsink, cleaned out all the gunk on the processor using a cotton swab and alcohol (took 30mins), put a fresh new coat of thermal paste, put everything back in place - and finally, it worked! Problem solved.

ariellamarie

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
My laptop also shut off and wont turn back on,it wasnt hot when it did so i dont think it over heated,ivr had it charging for about 10 hours next to a fan but it still wont turn on and i cant figurr out whats wrong with it

LeahLB

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

I know that there are many articles out there stating that Asus has remarkable reliability...but I know differently. I bought my first one, a laptop, in April 2014 and had to take it in for a motherboard failure in October. They did not have a comparable one in stock at the store and I can not miss work so I got a new Asus desk top tower. That lasted 2 weeks and would start randomly shutting down without warning in addition to other problems. I lost intricate design changes in Adobe Illustrator as a result. They replaced it with a 3rd one on November 21st and I will be taking it back in 2 days to exchange it for an HP.

So their motto, "Persistent Perfection", rings hollow for me. Beware. And their tech support is awful, fyi.

Wobbiegong

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

AngrywASUS

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
I had the same problem with an ASUS running windows7 BFIJ - it was a 1400 laptop when i bought it. It got to the point where it wasnt useful at all.

could not link it to any software or temperature, sometimes it would run for days, then other times it would shut off in the first 3 minutes. Just instant off "Pew". Black screen.

So i bought a new ASUS thinking i had a lemon... Guess what?! Same flipping problem again. This time i bought a S550C. Exact same issue. So i re-imaged it to the factory setting as per ASUS support then struggled to download and install all the windows updates.
TIP: Only download and install a couple updates at a time. I tried to do all of them, half of them 1/4 of them 1/10th of them, and it would never work.

So re-imgaged it a few times, installed one or two softwares at a time and got back to where i was. Worked OK for a couple months... then... PEW

Same flipping problem. What a peice of JUNK. Never again.

druplewini

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I had this same problem and had my laptop checked from where I bought it.
They said "dissembled the laptop and found rust on motherboard, suspected source of problem"
I've never spilled anything on the motherboard, but got the rusts.
Unfortunately, the warranty just finished just one week before I send my laptop.
I am so disappointed. should've bought other brand :(

afrika1963

Estimable
May 3, 2015
Have had the same problem and returned to Asus 3 times......replaced motherboard still does it......they say they can't find the problem..........never buy an Asus....just found he same thing happens to my son's notebook too........I will be really pissed if one day it just wont restart....obviously an Asus defect that they won't face up to!

Status
Not open for further replies.