My ASUS laptop shuts off randomly

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicah

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
I just got my computer about 10 months ago and about 2 months ago it shut off randomly. I didn't get it looked at because it said it was doing updates so I thought that was why. Now it shuts off all the time. I've had it looked at by geek squad and the said it seemed fine to them but then just today it shut off again after I had it on for about 10 minutes. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Solution
ohh, well, if you try to touch the bottom for example, is it really hot?
try installing something like realtemp (among others), to see the temperature.

also, try to remember the last few updates/installations that you did. maybe its the culprit

Danielrugoo

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
I didnt read all of the answers here but I manage to save my GL552VW from not turning on at all.

All I did was calling ASUS Belgium and he told me to remove the battery and unplug the laptop. Then click and hold the power button for 30 seconds twice, plug everything back and turn on (just like some users suggested or close enough).

He said that will release the electricity held in the battery and uninstall all windows updates.

Now its back to normal and no problems, love it. I hope this helps

rosetanjil

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
I believe this is a bug with the program or the fault of the on off switch, because if you press the on switch and hold, the shutdown is exactly the same. Sometimes I got same sudden shutdown when pressing the key or inserting a pendrive.

My laptop is a brand new ASUS on window 10 but the random shutdown is always when I am on battery.

sometimes it shutdown when the battery is 50 percent or even when its 90% thats why i call it random. It also shutdown when the body is still cold...

I always put all my laptop on cooling pads which is powered separately through a usb power jack connected to powerpoint so sparing use of laptop usb.

hence the only two things wrong are

1. either the battery connection is bad or
2. just bloody malware detecting i am on battery and start this on off thing.

anyone can help me further, I will appreciate

rajrao901

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
Well I was also having the same problem but I got this problem resolved quite easily. You guys can also try it and hopefully it will work. Just follow these steps and you will get rid of this problem.
1. First Go To Device Manager of your computer.
2. Go to System Devices.
3. There You will find Intel Management Engine Interface just right click on it and uninstall it.
4. Go To https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26136/Intel-Management-Engine-Driver-5M-for-Windows-7-8-1-and-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC5i5MYHE , and download this driver (around 150 MB or it might get changed in future).
5. As the file you have downloaded is zip file so you have to extract it. Just right click on it and select Extract here.
6. Then you get 3 folders, go to Driver Packages folder and then go to MEI folder.
7. Now you will find a file named heci.inf just right click on it and select install.
That's it your laptop is Perfect now.
Dont forget to thanks me at [don't post your email address on the forum]

Doctor Bob_55

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
Power button Solution

I just finshed repairing a Asus S550C laptop and yes the power loss fault was due to a power button issue.
The power button is located on a tiny circuit board (PCB) that is isolated from the main system board.
Asus uses a metal woven ribbon to ground the board to the chassis and the system board. Oh dear....

The problem is due to a floating ground caused by the ribbon cable loosing ground connection (floating ground).

If others are having similar issues (random power loss) as in this forum chances are it is due to this ribbon cable.

Disassemble the laptop and check to see if there is a ribbon connecting the power button PCB to the laptop chassis. If there is, clean the ribbon cable and power button. Lubricate the topside button (the user presses to power on the laptop) to make sure that it is not sticky. Make sure that the ribbon has good contact on the screw mounting hole and to the the chassis (there is a holding bracket on the bottom cover that holds the ribbon cable in place).

Re-install the bottom cover but before screwing it back down, power up the laptop to make sure it is working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.