My computer turns on, but the screen doesn't. Help!

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
My model: MSI GE62VR 6RF Apache Pro

Hi, I bought this computer about a year ago. I use this computer mostly for gaming but I do work on it as well. For the past few days, it would take my computer a very long time to boot up and it would take several retries before it actually would, and now today it would just turn on, with all the keyboard backlights and my attached USB mouse lighting up as well, along with the fan. However, the display would just not turn on at all, and it would just stay black.

My guess is that because recently I've been overclocking my CPU and GPU, that might be an issue. I've already ruled out a battery issue, because unplugging my power cord doesn't seem to affect the issue whatsoever.

Sometimes, I turn on the computer and the backlit keyboard and all my peripherals light up and turn on, but they eventually shut down again and light back up again, and this happens quite a lot.

I've looked at some similar issues on the internet but I haven't found a concrete solution, and removing the battery isn't an option for me because this model can't have it's battery easily removed.

I've tried everything that I could, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution