My Dad's Christmas Present

aiden_62201

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
So me and my mom are trying to get my dad a new laptop for Christmas. His current one is like 8 years old so anything is a step up. She has tasked me with finding out which of these two laptops are better the link is too long so I can't put it in, all I really need to know is more ram or a faster CPU. One has 6 gbs of ram but a slower CPU and the other one has 4 gbs of ram but a faster CPU.

Solution
Without any information about what the laptop will be used for (different dads do different things, but I'm guessing he checks email and read news). And with no information about the different CPUs and RAM no one can give you THE answer. A laptop with 6GB of 1066MHz RAM and a i3 1.2GHz CPU is worthless, however a laptop with 4GB 1600MHz RAM with a i7 2.6GHz CPU is lightyears better.

Those are 2 extreme scenarios, but assuming he's not going to use the laptop for anything other than "normal stuff" then a faster CPU is the better choice regardless.

XistenZ

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Without any information about what the laptop will be used for (different dads do different things, but I'm guessing he checks email and read news). And with no information about the different CPUs and RAM no one can give you THE answer. A laptop with 6GB of 1066MHz RAM and a i3 1.2GHz CPU is worthless, however a laptop with 4GB 1600MHz RAM with a i7 2.6GHz CPU is lightyears better.

Those are 2 extreme scenarios, but assuming he's not going to use the laptop for anything other than "normal stuff" then a faster CPU is the better choice regardless.

Solution