My elderly mom gets the most viruses and crapware anything to childproof a pc

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
im going to be building my mom and new comp and was wondering if theres any software that can childproof a pc so she cant install all that crapware that pops up on facebook and facebook apps etc and viruses, so she wont bog this new system down to a snails pace like her old pc was. somthing not too expensive i hope.

Solution
Create a normal user account for her instead of an admin account; though that means that you will have to install programs for her whenever she wants anything installed.

Also, buy her a decent security suite. I'm partial to Eset. Kaspersky is good too. Don't bother with Symantec or MacAfee.

Last, I recommend installing an ad blocker on her browser. The number of phone calls I got from my mother fell significantly after I installed an ad blocker on her browser. No more "this popup is telling me I have a virus" or "which download link do I click" phone calls. I recommend uBlock origin as it gets around most anti-adblock stuff. Still, some sites don't work well with ad blockers, especially streaming video sites (Hulu comes to mind), so...

rounakr94

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I have kaspersky internet security 2016 and adblock plus. KiS provides the firewall and adblock plus blocks the popups. There is no way you can block virus forever as there are loopholes in everything

bitwright

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
Create a normal user account for her instead of an admin account; though that means that you will have to install programs for her whenever she wants anything installed.

Also, buy her a decent security suite. I'm partial to Eset. Kaspersky is good too. Don't bother with Symantec or MacAfee.

Last, I recommend installing an ad blocker on her browser. The number of phone calls I got from my mother fell significantly after I installed an ad blocker on her browser. No more "this popup is telling me I have a virus" or "which download link do I click" phone calls. I recommend uBlock origin as it gets around most anti-adblock stuff. Still, some sites don't work well with ad blockers, especially streaming video sites (Hulu comes to mind), so you will have to make sure to whitelist any sites she visits frequently that won't work right with an ad blocker, or teach her how to whitelist them herself.

Solution

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Get her a mac?

If you have high maintenance users or your time is valuable, the extra cost could be well worth it.
Probably a little risky, but our dozen odd work mac's haven't had a virus/malware scanner since we switched ~8 years ago.
I'll install one every two years or so, then delete it a day later.

nieu m

Estimable
Oct 18, 2014
Kaspersky Internet security or Total security if you are looking for paid. I have used internet security and you can controll evevrything with the parental control on and you can restrict yourself from using too much computer and also protects you from scams and warns you too. If u also looking for a security solution id recommend this. In the case you are not looking for security too then go for adblocker as an extension in chrome.
Link for kaspersky http://www.kaspersky.co.in/home-security
Link for adblocker https://adblockplus.org/

G

Mate.. Mac gets viruses lol

DanManB

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

Chrome or Chromium OS could work since it only runs on a web browser.

LukeFatwalker

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
Reboot Restore Rx. It's free and it'll literally wipe her computer clean on every reboot. Just have to train her to reboot it and you're golden. Deep Freeze is another good option, but it's not free and has all the same features as Reboot Restore Rx.

TRENDING THREADS