My First Business Laptop

exoterra

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Been coming here a long time--input/approval from TH is always my last order of business before I purchase. Last time I built a desktop was sadly six years ago, but what I put together was so badass with the help of community members here that I haven't needed to upgrade in that long.

But now, I'm into new things, like business, and I read the thread for asking for laptop buying advice, so below is my filled out questionnaire, and thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions as usual!

1. What is your budget? $1000 - price can be flexible if the laptop is worth the $$$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? My gaming laptop is 17.3" which is awesome, but maybe a tad big? I'm guessing somewhere in the 15-17" range is ideal.

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p at a minimum. I don't stay on top of the new 'super ultra mega HD' trends, so I'm not concerned with this one.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Uhhhhhm, this is for work, so it doesn't need to have all the same capabilities as my home desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need? Great question, not sure. 8 hours without needing a charge would be cool, but also probably lofty?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Kind of irrelevant.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I'm working for an artificial intelligence and ML/NLP company, and we do demos of our products which involves speech technology and data gathering/modeling, so processing power and RAM would be key.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? No idea, every computer these days has a terabyte easy so I'm not too worried, but I'm interested in price points on laptops with Solid-state. Solid-state is just badass what can I say.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? A while lol. Years probably? If I ever leave the company, they'll probably take it back unless I buy it from them I suppose.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVDRW would be good as it can do most of the things. More importantly are HDMI and USB ports, 2 HDMI and 4 USB would be good.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Hmmmm.... I've bought a lot of ASUS and MSI products in the past, have never had any issues with them. My gaming laptop is ASUS. I prefer to avoid Lenovo... they're usually cheaper and for a reason. I'm open to suggestions if the value is worthwhile.

13. What country do you live in? U.S.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Appearances matter in business, and I'm not trying to cheap out on this purchase. While it doesn't need to be a gaming powerhouse, I definitely still want to find the best possible machine for ~1K.

Thanks!

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018

exoterra

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

Really like the MSI option you suggested.

Wondering if you'd take a look at this one I found while perusing other MSI laptops on newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154623
Aiming for the 512 SSD option, on sale for a 900 after rebate.