My HP Compaq nx6110 starts up fine, but then restarts.

Mdr7378

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
My HP Compaq nx6110 Notebook will not read its HDD. The following happens:
• HP logo appears when powered on.
• Black screen stating Windows wasn't shut down properly with 30 sec. countdown to booting
Windows XP
• Windows XP begins loading...
• Notebook then restarts and the cycle begins again.

I then accessed the BIOS and performed an HDD test. The test determined that there was a disk read error. I also tried disconnecting the HDD from the Notebook and reinstalling it, but the problem remains the same. What should I do? I wish to retain all that I have on the HDD.

Solution
Hi there Mdr7378,

As the computer will not boot, you will most probably need to attach the hard drive to another computer and see whether you can retrieve your data. After you get the data, I would advise you to test the drive with a brand specific software in order to check out the drive's health status.
If the drive is not recognized by the other computer, you should go to Disk Management and see whether the drive has healthy partitions and file format. There is possibility that you will need to use some data/partition recovery software.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Mdr7378,

As the computer will not boot, you will most probably need to attach the hard drive to another computer and see whether you can retrieve your data. After you get the data, I would advise you to test the drive with a brand specific software in order to check out the drive's health status.
If the drive is not recognized by the other computer, you should go to Disk Management and see whether the drive has healthy partitions and file format. There is possibility that you will need to use some data/partition recovery software.

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Solution

Mdr7378

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014

Thanks, D_Know_WD. I appreciate your insight and expertise. I will do as you suggested.

TRENDING THREADS