My HP Laptop keeps typing the equal sign "=" over= and over again.The longer the computer is on , the more frequently it types

Christine_70

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
After my HP Pavilion l=aptop has been running for an hour or so it st=arts typing the equal sign "=" over and over. It is so annoying,,,, yo=u can see how many tim=es it does it just by this post.==

Please help....

Thanks,
siciliangal

robert600

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
here (quoted below" is an answer to someone who had a very similar problems to yours. That person picked this answer as the 'best solution' so you might want to try it before disabling the key.

"The little rubber dome cap under the actual key may have a little split in it and dust has got inside it. I have previously fixed this problem on a laptop keyboard by removing the key (they pop off with a little force) and gave it a blast with a ..blaster. Popped the key back onto its rocker and all was good. It can be a delicate operation. "

So ... gently slide a very small screwdriver or something like that under the key as far as you can get it to go and then pry it off. That 'little rubber dome cap' will remain attached to the keyboard. A can of compressed air would be best for cleaning that 'little rubber dome cap' but blowing through a straw might work - the smaller the diameter of the straw - the more forceful the air stream would be so try to find a relatively small one.

Could anything have been spilled on it? That would cause a key to stick.

Also, you and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

Lastly, should the above options not work, you may want to check the computer for malware and/or viruses.

robert600

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
If none of what 'webworkings' suggests works ... you could always disable that key ... if you can live without an = and + key ... what version of windows are you using? As far as that goes ... if you needed those symbols ... you could remap them to other keys so (for instance) Alt-p would give you + and Alt-e would give you =

Christine_70

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Christine_70

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Thank you for responding....
Well, I've done everything here and it is still doing it. I'm at a loss now....maybe I should just get another computer???= And to answer your question...no I haven't spilled anything on my computer. It just started one day and gets worse the longer the laptop is on. Usually, after a couple of hours, I have to turn the computer off and let it cool off.

Christine_70

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

Christine_70

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Thanks for responding.... I don't use this key so I would love to disable it.....BUT....I don't know how to do that. Could you please explain how?

robert600

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
here (quoted below" is an answer to someone who had a very similar problems to yours. That person picked this answer as the 'best solution' so you might want to try it before disabling the key.

"The little rubber dome cap under the actual key may have a little split in it and dust has got inside it. I have previously fixed this problem on a laptop keyboard by removing the key (they pop off with a little force) and gave it a blast with a ..blaster. Popped the key back onto its rocker and all was good. It can be a delicate operation. "

So ... gently slide a very small screwdriver or something like that under the key as far as you can get it to go and then pry it off. That 'little rubber dome cap' will remain attached to the keyboard. A can of compressed air would be best for cleaning that 'little rubber dome cap' but blowing through a straw might work - the smaller the diameter of the straw - the more forceful the air stream would be so try to find a relatively small one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Laptop Tech Support 0
danielxfx Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 6
U Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
P Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1