Solved! My laptop charger pin getting hot.

Oct 27, 2020
My dell laptop charger pin is getting hot like in a minute but only when the laptop is on. When the laptop is switched off and then when I charge then it does not get hot. Is it a software problem??

Solution
Given that the charging light sometimes blinks on and off, I would suspect an issue with the connector. There is either one contact spring on the computer side and one on the power connector or two contact springs in the computer. They may not be making solid contact and having some resistance leads to heating. Has the connector been in and out a lot of times (hundreds) or abused accidentally? You should feel some resistance when you plug the connector in. If it feel loose, this is not good.

Unfortunately, in my limited experience with power connectors inside the laptop, they are a bear to replace. A couple more things to try. Try gently pushing the connector side to side and top to bottom. Do this slowly as it takes a few seconds for...
Couldn't be a software problem. The charger is probably supplying more current when running the laptop and also charging. Couple of questions. By the charger pin, do you mean the connector that plugs into the side of the machine? Is it really hot (hard to touch) or just warm? If the battery is fully charged, machine on and plugged in is the connector still getting hot? Does the connector have a firm feel when you plug it in? If you gently wiggle on the connector, does the charging light blink on and off?

Oct 27, 2020
Couldn't be a software problem. The charger is probably supplying more current when running the laptop and also charging. Couple of questions. By the charger pin, do you mean the connector that plugs into the side of the machine? Is it really hot (hard to touch) or just warm? If the battery is fully charged, machine on and plugged in is the connector still getting hot? Does the connector have a firm feel when you plug it in? If you gently wiggle on the connector, does the charging light blink on and off?
Yes It's the connector that gets hot and it gets really hot. The longer I keep the hotter it gets. Today I kept my laptop for charging for about 1 hour to check if it gets hot at 100% battery but it didn't charge at all. The battery was still at 32% but the charging light is on and the charging animation is also running. And yes the light blinks on and off sometimes.

Update:
I removed the battery and plugged in the charger. The laptop did not power on.

Last edited:
Given that the charging light sometimes blinks on and off, I would suspect an issue with the connector. There is either one contact spring on the computer side and one on the power connector or two contact springs in the computer. They may not be making solid contact and having some resistance leads to heating. Has the connector been in and out a lot of times (hundreds) or abused accidentally? You should feel some resistance when you plug the connector in. If it feel loose, this is not good.

Unfortunately, in my limited experience with power connectors inside the laptop, they are a bear to replace. A couple more things to try. Try gently pushing the connector side to side and top to bottom. Do this slowly as it takes a few seconds for the charge light to go out and turn on. If it does go out, you have a bad connector on either the power cable or inside the machine.

Solution