My laptop has 4gb graphics?...

lospollos

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Hi :)

I just bought a new laptop yesterday, it's a Toshiba C50D-A-13G. Here are the specs first:

AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 Accelerated Processor
8GB Memory
AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon™ HD 8400 Graphics (Up To 4GB)

It says up to 4GB Graphics, what does that mean? Any replies appreciated.

Integrated graphic cores in AMD and Intel processors uses the system RAM. I suppose AMD's APUs can use up to half the available for itself leaving the other half for programs and Windows. However, the AMD Radeon HD 8400 is too weak to even use 512MB of RAM for graphics. A lot of available RAM for the graphics core is meaningless if the graphics core is too weak to make use of it.

I am not sure how much RAM gets allocated to the Radeon HD 8400. Having 8GB might allow up to 4GB to be allocated to the Radeon, or maybe 4GB will be allocated only if you have 16GB of RAM.

AMD-FX

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

You don't know what lospollos is going to use this computer for. For gaming, they probably should've gotten an i3 (preferably an i5). But if they aren't going to be gaming, the A6 is a really good processor for everyday computing and multimedia, as long as you have fast RAM.