My laptop keeps turning off and on

phil22

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Sounds like a hardware problem and that means it could be one of many components that may be malfunctioning. If it's still covered by warranty that's the best course of action. If it isn't, have a laptop repair centre take a look at it, but take someone with you who knows a bit about computers because some of these repair shops will try to rip you off or tell you things that just aren't true.

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company in the UK...

We DONT RIP ANYONE OFF...

We charge a fixed charge to diagnose a problem (£27.50 for 1/2 hours labour...even if it takes 4 hours)

We then tell the customer what the problem is and cost to repair, if its worth repairing...

So please do NOT tar every company with the same brush...

And to the OP....YES its a hardware problem and its needs taking to a lappy repair company....advice here wont help...

All the best Brett :)

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Try removing one of the sticks of ram. If that helps, u have a bad stick of memory. I bet that is all it is. Can't hurt to try........ Also, even though everyone seems to agree that it's a hardwar issue, I'd still go into my bios and select load defaults...... Best of luck.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Brett, I don't blame you for being somewhat offended by the statement that "some" computer repair places will try and rip people off. But, sadly.....it's true! I congratulate you for being one of the "Honest" companies that people can trust. It's sad that there are less honest companies out there, but, even u must agree that they are out there. I feel that the gentleman worded his statement quite well. He said "Some" companies out there will try and rip you off. And gave great advice to take someone along that knows something about computers. It was not a direct attack upon you. Perhaps, you were being a bit sensitive..........because you are a lap top repair company owner. Anyway, that is just my opinion. Again, i thank you for being one of the honest companies! Thank you!

Hi :)

Maybe I was being oversensitive...lol

After all there are two companies I know of within a few miles of me that are not exactly honest with customers shall we say :(

The problem is that there are so few companies like mine that we all get tarred with the same brush...

To the OP ...try and find out how LONG the company has been trading as that will give you a good idea of their quality and honesty...

All the best Brett :)