My laptop recognize the receiver only as stereo instead of 5.1

dany_my

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hi,

I have the HP dv6t-2000 laptop and I want to connact it with my home theater system.
I have a sony receiver - str-dh730 and when I try to connact the laptop to the receiver (HDMI) the laptop recognize the receiver only as stereo instead of surround (I have 5.1 speakers that working with all the other devices connacted to the receiver)
When I go to the "playback devices" and try to configure the receiver, the only option written is "stereo"

What should I do? (tried to replace cable and connacting throu other input buy nothing...)

Thanks,
Daniel

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
its possible your gpu doesn't allow for 5.1 surround through the hdmi. you try running a digital audio cable or optical line out to the receiver?

you try another hdmi cable?

no adapters (dvi-d) on the line?

you sure your default audio device on your laptop is the hdmi?

dany_my

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
The Gpu allow 5.1, in the past i connacted the laptop with other receivers and it worked just fine... HDMI without any adapters.
and yes, the HDMI is the default.

dany_my

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
I tried to replace the cable and I updated all the display and sound driver but it didn't help solving the problem

I tried to do a factory reset to the receiver and than connacting the laptop and it workd! but now its again only "stereo". Tried to do it again but now even if I do the factory reset it isn't working...