My laptop shuts down while playing games

iamian99

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
My laptop shuts down while playing games. I used to be able to play for an hour or so, but it's gotten worse to the point of shutting down a couple mins after starting the game. I've already determined that it isn't a problem with heat. It only shuts down when the AC adapter is plugged in. Also, (this may or may not be related) the battery monitor always displays 92% charge, no matter what the charge level is.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, iamian99.

So you never have such problems either with the laptop's AC adapter plugged in or not, if you are not playing games? I guess that if you can play games normally when the AC adapter is not plugged in, then it's not the GPU. Perhaps there's some sort of strange issue with the battery. I'd suggest that you disconnect the battery and turn on the laptop with only the AC adapter connected, then try playing some games to see if the same thing happens.
Unfortunately it seems a bit hard to determine the issue, so if it's not a faulty battery, I'd recommend that you take the laptop to a service shop or contact the manufacturer's customer support for further assistance.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

iamian99

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015

Thanks for your response. I tried to start up the laptop with only the AC adapter (battery removed). The screen lit up for a second, then it died. After putting the battery back in and starting up the laptop, the battery indicator changed from 92% to 21%, but still refuses to change. If you can't think of any other tests to do, I can always send it back for warranty.

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
You're most welcome. Sorry for the delayed response. If you haven't sent it already, I'd suggest that you do it. It sounds like there might be some sort of issue along the power line, which unfortunately I can't help you fix without testing it. It's even better that the laptop is under warranty, so you don't have to use a service shop for this. Hopefully they figure it out - whatever it might be.

Please let me know how everything went after that.