My laptop shuts off when ever play games or watch videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadimusMaximus

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
My laptop keeps shutting itself off when ever I would either play games or watch videos. There would be no shutdown screen, it would just go black. Plus, it gets very hot when ever I do anything, even when it's idle! And now I'm even getting the BSOD. I'm getting the feeling that it's either the CPU or the fan. My question is should I send it to best buy to get it repaired/diagnosed or just get a new laptop entirely?

2011 Acer Aspire 5750

Intel core 13-2330M CPU 2.0 GHz

8GB of Ram

Integrated Graphics

500GB Hard Drive

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
It sounds like overheating. Has it ever been cleaned?

Install a utility called HW Monitor, take a screenshot, and post it in the thread so we can see what temperatures you are sitting at.

ChadimusMaximus

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Yes I clean it every 2-3 weeks but it is difficult because you can't remove the entire bottom of the laptop.

As for the temps, how do you upload the pic?

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

www.imgur.com

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Check and make sure the fan isn't seized or spinning very slowly. If that's the case, you need to take it apart and have the fan cleaned/re-oiled or replace the fan.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Those are pretty high temperatures when the CPU is just idling.

A quick bit of math from your data shows that your thermal subsystem is currently performing at:

(69 Degrees Celsius - 66 Degrees Celsius) / (6.18 Watts- 3.59 Watts) ~= 1.2 Degrees Celsius/ Watt

This is a horribly high number for a heatsink/fan. I'm FAIRLY CERTAIN that something is wrong with your cooling system in the laptop. As I said, check the fan first, then go from there. You may have to undergo a complete cleaning of the heatsink assembly and possibly re-oil/replace the fan.

Try running some Prime95 stress tests to see if your temperatures are <95 Degrees Celsius at load. If it crashes running Prime95 reaching a high temperature, I think you know the answer for sure.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
I own a gaming laptop from a few years back (Asus G51) that is well known for having poor cooling. For example, the video card would plateau at around 102 degrees during gaming. Yes, I could boil water on my video card. I still have it and use it regularly, and it has never had any issues in the thousands of hours I've wasted playing games on it.

Where I'm getting at with this is that laptop stuff can get a lot warmer due to space. Numbers which would scare me half to death on a desktop can be perfectly normal on a laptop. That said, your idle temps are rather high.

Care to explain your cleaning process? A common mistake is instead of clearing the laptop of dust, sometimes one accidentally ends up blowing dust deeper into the internals of a laptop.

I tend to agree with Maxx regarding you fan. Perhaps it is on its last legs. Is it possible to safely run the laptop with the fan exposed to see how it is functioning?

ChadimusMaximus

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Here's the thing, my laptop doesn't allow me to open it completely. Here is the bottom of my laptop: http://imgur.com/P3AsNbq

I can't remove the fan because I can't completely remove the back of the laptop. I can only access the Ram, CPU, Hard Drive, and battery. I have just been spraying air in the vent where the fan would be, then do the same with the keyboard, and then use a special cleaner made for computer screens to clean the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.