My laptop won't connect to my TV anymore

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glma_engine

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Just recently my TV won't recognize my computer anymore. I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista and an LG TV. When I connect them my TV says it's connecting and then it says no signal. It was working just the other day. The only thing that has changed is that I loaded Clear Connection on my computer for internet, but I don't see how that would change anything on my computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chase_5

Estimable
Jan 29, 2016
Yeah, unplug your TV and it should fix things. A port of mine stopped connecting to my laptop but the other port worked fine. No PC setting changes were helping but just unplugging the TV seemed to reset it somehow and it works perfectly as before on both ports

Ronin5

Estimable
May 31, 2015
Always good to know Im not alone :)
I have an Acer laptop and connect to a HD TV with HDMI cable. Its been working fine for over a year, even after upgrading to Windows 10.
What I get thats not mentioned here is when the PC is powering up my TV will show the same image as the laptop (the Windows 10 window with the circle of dots underneath) but on my TV screen the image is distored, ie its a blue background (laptop black) and has lots of black lines across the screen like its not tuned in right.

Ive gone into drivers for my onboard graphics card and it says its up to date.
The weird thing is, if I go into sound settings the Playback thats normally auto enabled when HDMI is connected - ATI HDMI OUTPUT- to my laptop is showing as not plugged in.
Yet if I go into Control Panel - Display- it shows SAMSUNG (my TV) as the 2nd option and when I disconnect the HDMI from my laptop it makes the disconnect sound, yet still it says under sound settings its unplugged and the tv stays a black screen after the initial blue distorted loading screen.
It must be an update to Windows or something as its happened in the last fw weeks and Im not aware of anything else thats been updated.

Ive tried unplugging both laptop and TV and plugging back in again but I still get the same result.
Ive tried updating Graphics card driver and Ive tried a different HDMI cable too.

Ronin5

Estimable
May 31, 2015

Did anyone find a solution to this?

I rolled back to Windows 7 as Ive found out my laptops graphics card isnt supported on windows 10, so I thought that would be the problem.
But even on Windows 7 its the identical issue.

http://vid271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/roninxena/VID_20160227_130640919_zpsgabamv7n.mp4

this is a link to a video of whats happening on start up, the TV is showing the laptop image but its got a blue background instead of black and it only last until the laptop asks for User login id, then the TV shows No Source, but it stays highlighted in the Source list as if its connected to something that is actually on ( my ps4 is in the other HDMI and it only lights that Source up when the PS4 is actually on) on windows display settings it shows my Samsung TV as detected as second monitor too.

Have tried changing cables, switching off and unplugging, changing HDMI sockets and tested the HDMI connection on my laptop on a monitor screen to confirm its okay, Ive now tried rolling back to W7 and its still the same issue :(

Christina_tx

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I had the same problem. My connection from my computer to my tv via a HDMI cord was fine one day, now my tv says theirs no signal/source. Couldn't get it to do exactly what I wanted but I least got it to transfer the view to my tv.

just right clicked my desktop screen

clicked Graphic Options

clicked output to...

selected digital television.

I don't have the computer screen and the television screen anymore but at least it shows up on the tv a quick fix for an impatient person like myself.

Ronin5

Estimable
May 31, 2015

Yes Ive tried that too thanks, it does show my Samsung as a 2nd monitor but nothing comes up on TV :(
You could try holding the windows button and pressing P, if you havent already Christina, it normally brings up 4 options for Projection.

Cody_26

Commendable
May 4, 2016

This worked for me also with a Samsung smart TV and my Asus Aspire E 15

Ronin5

Estimable
May 31, 2015
I gave up and am currently mulling over one of these cheapy £120 pc's as its only for watching streams on my big tv. Might even get a PC Stick if there is a reliable one about.

FrankMr

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

I had the same issue, so I studied the LG TV guide and discovered that you must get a top quality HDMI cable of the specifications cited in the TV's owner's manual, once I went and got the best cable at Best Buy that I could it worked like a champ. I was tearing my hair out and updated drivers and the rest of it until I just bought a top quality cable, with the premium cable everything worked great and my computer recognized the computer right away. I am running Windows 10 and followed the TV's owner's manual step by step and it worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.