Solved! My laptop won't turn on, it only shows the light from the charging port.

Nov 12, 2020
My laptop won't turn on, it only shows that it's charging. When I press f8 and the power button the motor turns on but when I shut the computer it turns off. Help!!

Solution
Could be a lot of things. First question I have is what F8 has to do with startup? Things I would try:
  • Try to hold the power button down for about 10 seconds, wait a few seconds and then power up. On most machines, that will do a hardware reset.
  • Is there a disk activity light (usually there is) and does that flash for several seconds when you turn the machine on?
  • You can check the display by shining a light on it and seeing if there are faint images (that would reveal a broken backlight).
  • If you have an external display, plug that in. You may have to hit the display select key (fn F3) on my machine but different on other machines. I would hit that key twice and then hit enter to select the external display.
That's a...
Could be a lot of things. First question I have is what F8 has to do with startup? Things I would try:
  • Try to hold the power button down for about 10 seconds, wait a few seconds and then power up. On most machines, that will do a hardware reset.
  • Is there a disk activity light (usually there is) and does that flash for several seconds when you turn the machine on?
  • You can check the display by shining a light on it and seeing if there are faint images (that would reveal a broken backlight).
  • If you have an external display, plug that in. You may have to hit the display select key (fn F3) on my machine but different on other machines. I would hit that key twice and then hit enter to select the external display.
That's a start anyway.

Solution