Solved! My laptop's idle temperatures reach 52C.

Jul 16, 2021
I have had this laptop for around a year now, and these past couple of days I have noticed the temperatures are increasing by a lot. When it is idle, it reaches 45C as the minimum and 52C as the maximum. Something strange is that, when the laptop is not charging, the temperatures tend to be lower than when it is charging (I don't know if this is normal). Also, when I change the battery configurations to high performance (while charging), the temperatures rise to 75C - 80C.

I have not yet cleaned it up, at least not internally, since the laptop arrived at my house. All I did was open the box up, turn it on, configure it, charge it up, and then use it as I wish. It's a shame that I have to say I have had installed pirated video games before, though I uninstalled the video games and scanned my computer with Panda Dome and MalwareBytes. Once I had scanned my PC with Malwarebytes, it detected a certain malware; and when it was blocked, the temperatures started going normally. As stupid as you might be thinking I am right now, you couldn't expect anything but think that I installed another pirated game, and well, you got it right, I actually did. I uninstalled it, and it has been 6 months or so since I had learned that pirating games is not only harmful to whoever developed it but also to my computer.

Now that I summed up some potential causes, I am going to tell you my laptop's specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80GHz
NVIDIA Geforce MX110, Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
8,00 GB RAM DDR4

In case I did not give enough information, please let me know.

Solution
If you installed pirated software, you likely have viruses running botnets or cryptomining. The virus writers are clever and not all infections are caught even by running multiple virus scans. If you haven't run an off-line scan, suggest you do this also. This is a scan that boots from a USB stick (made on some other computer you believe is safe). Physically opening a computer and "cleaning" it is not generally necessary. Unless done properly, it can lead to problems. Lots of posts on this site that start with "I cleaned my computer and now it doesn't work...."

The best way to eliminate problems is to do a clean windows reinstall. You will need backups of your data and will need to reinstall all apps, so that is a painful process. I...
If you installed pirated software, you likely have viruses running botnets or cryptomining. The virus writers are clever and not all infections are caught even by running multiple virus scans. If you haven't run an off-line scan, suggest you do this also. This is a scan that boots from a USB stick (made on some other computer you believe is safe). Physically opening a computer and "cleaning" it is not generally necessary. Unless done properly, it can lead to problems. Lots of posts on this site that start with "I cleaned my computer and now it doesn't work...."

The best way to eliminate problems is to do a clean windows reinstall. You will need backups of your data and will need to reinstall all apps, so that is a painful process. I like to run BelArc Advisor first to get a list of most of the installed SW. Go to another PC and run the Windows Media Creation tool on a USB--get this from the MS site
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows1. Do a complete reinstall which will erase everything. You didn;t say what brand you have, but you will want to install some of the vendor tools from their download site. Doing this clean install is not simple (unless everything goes well) and you need to read up on this.

BTW--I like to refer people to
https://decoded.avast.io/danielbenes/crackonosh-a-new-malware-distributed-in-cracked-software/
as an example of how clever the virus writers are. And this one is not even one of the best as it doesn't live in the Windows kernal.

Solution
Jul 16, 2021

The best way to eliminate problems is to do a clean windows reinstall. You will need backups of your data and will need to reinstall all apps, so that is a painful process. I like to run BelArc Advisor first to get a list of most of the installed SW. Go to another PC and run the Windows Media Creation tool on a USB--get this from the MS site
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows1. Do a complete reinstall which will erase everything. You didn;t say what brand you have, but you will want to install some of the vendor tools from their download site. Doing this clean install is not simple (unless everything goes well) and you need to read up on this.

BTW--I like to refer people to
https://decoded.avast.io/danielbenes/crackonosh-a-new-malware-distributed-in-cracked-software/
as an example of how clever the virus writers are. And this one is not even one of the best as it doesn't live in the Windows kernal.

Thank you, I did a clean windows reinstall as you advised me and now the temperatures are back to normal. I'm currently getting 38 - 40C Idle.😊