Solved! My laptop's keyboard types on its own

Jun 13, 2019
I have a Lenovo E570, I have it for almost two years, it never fell, took any damage, and I never spilled anything on it. It's just like new.

A few weeks ago my keyboard started acting up, it would randomely start typing on its own and any task was impossible or very difficult because of it, I completely formated my Pc and reinstalled a different version of Windows thinking it'd fix it, which it did for a while but now it's back, it isn't a malware problem either. I tried using an external Keyboard, it worked for a time but not anymore, and it seems to be totally random, here's how my last attempt went :

Booted up my pc, told myself I'd try using it normally as if nothing happened, logged into Facebook normally, looked up some tech forums to seek support, while I was registering here it started acting up again and would type random nonsense, so I tried the external keyboard, it stopped for a few seconds then started again. What could be causing this and what to do? I know this post isn't well structured, sorry for that, I'm very frustrated as I was about to put it for sale.

EDIT: it isn't just typing by the way, it's like the same buttons are constantly being pressed without me issuing any command. (Most of the time the numpad 8 and the 2 under the F bar, and sometimes F12)

Last edited:
Solution
Keyboards can go bad, even if you don't drop or spill anything on them.

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then try the following... just make sure you disconnect the external keyboard while the system is reloading.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may want...
Keyboards can go bad, even if you don't drop or spill anything on them.

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then try the following... just make sure you disconnect the external keyboard while the system is reloading.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
  2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
  3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.
If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

You may also want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

Reactions: GwynnBleidd
Solution
Jun 13, 2019
Okay so I found a way to use my Pc, I deactivated the built in Keyboard of the laptop, to make room for thr external one, they are no longer clashing and the issue is still there BUT as long as the built in KB is deactivated it won't reappear again.

So from this, is it safe to assume for sure that changing the built in KB will fix it for good, that the problem is only related to it, or can it be something else?

Jun 13, 2019
The issue has completely disappeared since I deactivated the keyboard. More info on the connector? I think it's unlikely as well. But only based on my knowledge that my laptop should be in a very good state, it wouldn't make sense if something that deep got damaged, how to know which one it is?

There is no way to tell without either direct observation of physical damage of the connection inside, on the motherboard, or replacing the keyboard and see if that resolves it.

Unless you take it to a tech, who can try another keyboard it in and determine if it is the keyboard or the connection.