My LED TV has sound, but no picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamin3575

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
Hi,
I have an RCA 32" LED 1080p TV that is less than 2 years old, and it has already lost the video. I can hear sound, and I can see lights in the back of the unit, but the screen looks like it's faded to black. I came across a test while searching the internet for a possible fix, that spoke of bringing up the TV's menu, and then shining a flashlight onto the screen at an angle, to see if the menu can be seen. I did that, but didn't see the menu. I use this TV maybe 20 to 30 hours a week. This TV was on sale for $237.99. I am wondering, is this a typical life span for an LED TV? Is it worth repairing, if it's only going to burn out again in less than 2 years? Can you give me a reasonable repair price that you would pay to fix a problem like this, or would you just purchase a new TV?

Thanks

Chuck

Solution
well nowadays TVs like your wouldn't be worth repairing because it would cost you the price of the TV or more and would not really be guaranteed. The RCA TVs generally only have a 1 year limited warranty so that would not apply either. So at this point, you should buy a new one and avoid the RCA brand and when you get the new one you can do like me and open the old broken one and play in it and "TRY" to fix it yourself. (never actually worked but its a whole lot of fun)

RageGamingZone

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
well nowadays TVs like your wouldn't be worth repairing because it would cost you the price of the TV or more and would not really be guaranteed. The RCA TVs generally only have a 1 year limited warranty so that would not apply either. So at this point, you should buy a new one and avoid the RCA brand and when you get the new one you can do like me and open the old broken one and play in it and "TRY" to fix it yourself. (never actually worked but its a whole lot of fun)

Solution

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
What have you done to try and find a way to get the TV showing an image again?

Have you tried a different cable?
Have you done what we call a clean install of the video card drivers?
What video card do you have?
Which type of connector are you using to connect the video card to the TV? HDMI?
Did you update the video drivers just before this problem started?
How long has this problem been occurring?

Timbo01

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
It's your tcon board. It needs to be replaced. You have backlights but no picture. That's the problem. Buy a tcon board online for the model number of your tv.

Timbo01

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
The reason you would see a picture with a flashlight would be if you didn't have any backlights. That would mean the inverter went out. But that's not the problem your having. Tcon!!!

Sageman98

Commendable
May 4, 2016
What would make anyone say its the T-Con board? A bad T-Con board will cause vertical lines or bands of color in the picture. This unit does not have a T-Con board. The T-Con control is built right into the main CPU board. It is most likely a bad bios epprom on the main board or just the main board failire in general. I have repaired this model with the same problem. Check your power supply output lines for your 5 volts and 12 volts and if present just buy a main board. Chances are it took a power surge through your cable and popped something digital in the main board. You can find one on ebay for $50 to $60 bucks.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.