My LG TV has stopped recognizing any HDMI input

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobSloan

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
One minute, it was working fine with both my PS3 and Sky HD box plugged into two different HDMI ports, the next it wasn't. I left my daughter in the lounge so she may have pressed something, but she promises that she didn't. Now the TV just says no signal. I have tried all the usual turning it off and on again, swapping HDMI ports on the TV, I even tried to plug my laptop into the thrid port, but the TV still did not recognize this. I have also just connected my TV to the web and updated the software, but it still doesn't recognize anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't afford a new TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcontino

Estimable
May 17, 2015

Well.. isn't this odd.. my LG is from about 2010 or 11.. came home tonight.. all HDMI ports are dead.. did they send out a crappy firmware update or something?

jlevy

Estimable
May 18, 2015
Same here. An LG TV (32LD490) with three HDMI ports. All ports stopped working suddenly on 17th May 2015. We bought this TV in 2011. The cables are all fine and the TV recognises that the DVD player is present (if I turn on the DVD player then the TV player automatically turns on as well), but the screen simply says 'No Signal'. Please help!

Kosterho

Estimable
May 18, 2015
I tried the baking method that another person tried and it also worked for me, a much simpler repair than I thought that it would be. The hardest part was disconnecting the cables connected to the main board, especially the ribbon one with tape over the top that one was disconnected by lifting up on the outside edge of the black portion of the connector. If this repair also worked for me it might work for the rest of you too. Good luck.

jackdgalloway

Estimable
May 11, 2015
First failure story. I tried the baking mechanism to no avail, still no connection on my 3 HDMI ports. Tried 10 minutes at 385, then the subsequent 15 minutes (about 8 hours later, after work) and still am getting no video signal. Is it worth an LG visit (LG told me essentially "bummer, warranty up, good luck") to fix, or should I just look for a new TV in time? I'd think at some point LG would recognize they have some major manufacturing or design flaw and attempt to fix it for their reputation, because I won't be buying another LG for a longgg time, and I'm a 2 time customer. Whatever the case, is the fee for a visit worth it, or just live off the 42" for as long as I can (busted TV is 55") and save for a replacement?

MarkJapan

Estimable
May 23, 2015

Hi there, (problem solved)
had the same issue at home with my PC and Apple TV, searched at many forums and found no solution.
Next day I called LG Costumer Support (I live in Japan) asked how much would cost to fix the HDMI they told me around US$200.
But they asked me to unplug the TV energy cable wait for a while and connect it again and BINGO, just this, at least in my case this pretty basic procedure solved the problem.

Jeffx2

Estimable
May 28, 2015
All of my HDMI ports have stopped working as of 5/24/15. It is a 47LE5400 purchased in 2010. Tried the power cable pull with no luck. All other inputs still seem to be working. Tried to schedule a repair with LG and the form errors with a "Swap Unit" message. Guess I need to try and contact a repair service directly.

Seems odd we're all having this issue at once.

MP93

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015
Wow... We have an LG 42 inch purchased in late 2010. All HDMI connections suddenly fail to recognize on Friday May 29, 2015. Other inputs are serviceable, but none of the 4 HDMI respond now.
The devices (such as cable box or blue ray) work fine on our other smaller TV.

This sure seems like a very prevalent LG user 'coincidence' !

shu82

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Mine too was a 2011 LG. I have a friend that works for LG to look up the part, and unfortunately the main board has been discontinued. I'm having them check out if a firmware update was pushed as well. This is weird that all of us had the exact same failure within days of each other.

Edit: There was no firmware update. I'm going to attempt to bake it.

Brunrama

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

Same problem to me. Since yersterday! LG 42 FULL HD. All HDMI ports doesnt work.

MP93

Estimable
Jun 3, 2015

How much did the new board set you back?

acwiper

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
None of my HDMIs work either since the 5th of June. VERY weird that this has happened to a lot of people around the same time. I tried a firmware update using a USB stick but the HDMI are still not working. SCART works ok with a sky box though. Seems like these 2011 model LG TVs are designed to fail!! Tempted to buy a NON LG smart tv as a replacement.

Any repair suggestions?

realditch

Estimable
Jun 6, 2015
I've just tried to connect my android box to lg tv and main menu appearing but screen is funny colour and frozen,was working ok up until yesterday,surely can't be a coincidence with all the threads on here..always swore by lg but think next tv will be non lg

Jamierr

Estimable
Jun 7, 2015

same problem as everyone else , happened two days ago I'll try the power off then bake'er and see what happens

V8ShinPrint

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

Unbelievable! I bought a LG 42LD490 back in March 2011, the hdmi crapped out on 23rd May 2015, same error as everybody else here. I was blaming my mate's kid for pressing some button that I couldn't work out but after reading this I know it's not just me! :)

Crowtsa

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
I have a LG 60" PK990 and have spent the last 2 months trying to source a replacement PCB Board without success. LG UK were also unable to provide a replacement. So, as a last resort I tried the baking method and now all 4 HDMI ports work perfectly!! Great solution.

V8ShinPrint

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

Ok, I have a couple of things to mention:
1. I can't believe I was crazy enough to take my TV apart and put delicate parts of it into the oven.
2. I can't believe it worked!

I now have working hdmi ports again, all thanks to the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.