My LG TV has stopped recognizing any HDMI input

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobSloan

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
One minute, it was working fine with both my PS3 and Sky HD box plugged into two different HDMI ports, the next it wasn't. I left my daughter in the lounge so she may have pressed something, but she promises that she didn't. Now the TV just says no signal. I have tried all the usual turning it off and on again, swapping HDMI ports on the TV, I even tried to plug my laptop into the thrid port, but the TV still did not recognize this. I have also just connected my TV to the web and updated the software, but it still doesn't recognize anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't afford a new TV.

Last edited by a moderator:

odedkl1

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015

Hi. Same hdmi problem with 37" tv . can someone reffer me to this "baking" solution some wrote it helped them ? Please?
Thanks

Bill Vanyo

Estimable
Jun 18, 2015

http://zedic.com/lg-42dl550-fix-repair/ (two posts up)

I just did it and I'm amazed. I only had coax input, now all 4 HDMI ports are working (haven't checked the rest). Very easy fix. Mine was a 32" LG.

I added a post to Zedic's page on how to disconnect the cables from the board (it's awaiting moderation).

ScottTousignant

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015
I can't freak'n believe it!!! I am the worlds least handiest guy... and this baking method worked like a charm. I have an LG 42" LED... model 42LE5400... purchased in 2010

The hardest part was getting the face plate off the side jacks and on the antenna jack. I'm pretty sure it's alluminum and not plastic. Trying to bend back the clips that hold it in place was a delicate procedure.

Thanks a million for sharing such a detailed fix for this problem. I'm disappointed that LG hasn't stepped up, leading us to resort to sticking their parts in an oven ;)

J14

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015
This same problem just happened to my 32" LG TV too last night. Not a coincidence? Watching Sky TV as normal then blacks out and no signal? All other inputs fine, tried differ cables, PS3 etc?

Hawkfan

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
WOW...I also bought my LG 50" Plasma TV around 2011 and in May 2015, all the HDMI inputs quit while I was watching TV. I heard a snap and got "no signal", I tried swapping cables, swapping ports, different devices (Desktop computers, Blue-Ray, HD Satellite TV) and none of them worked....

I am trying the baking method now....nothing to loose I guess

One this for sure, LG will never see another penny from me!

update, I tried the baking trick and I am now watching my TV!

joeantol

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
Had the same problem as everyone else with my 47 inch LG purchased in Feb of 2011. I called LG customer support to complain. The rep said there was nothing she could do as the unit was well past its warranty. I asked to speak to a supervisor or someone who could remediate the situation.

She patched me through to LG Executive Services.

I told the rep that this was a known issue with LG models purchased in late 2010/early 2011 and that LG should fix the problem. I further explained to her (who was clearly not reading from a script) that the Internet was a powerful medium for spreading information and that I would avail myself of every comment forum (Amazon, etc) to get the word out about LG products.

Surprisingly, she agreed. After uploading a copy of my receipt a service call was scheduled w/ a local (NYC) repair facility. Both labor and parts would be paid by LG.

The tech arrived on time, swapped out the HDMI board and the TV works as well as before.

I asked him about the baking the board solution and said it was the dumbest thing he'd ever heard of. YMMV.

haleyteam

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
Just wanted to add our situation to all the rest. Thought it was a cable problem, but no, none of the HDMI connections are working, the Comcast tech hooked up the old 3 and 6 pin connectors and voila, TV. Now I've got to deal with LG. I think I will just copy this board and email it to whomever decides it is not their problem. One minute,TV, next minute none.
Model 42" LG purchased in late 2010. Is this what they mean by planned obsolescence?

uscgmom4

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
Mine is not an LG......it's an Olevia and the one and only HDMI port doesn't work since May 18th! After watching a YouTube video where the capacitors on an Olevia been replaced noticed that the mother board says LG PHILLIPS!! My tv is from either 2008! Thought about baking but promised my IT son that I would change the capacitors first and if still have no signal I will definitely bake the motherboard!!

jimbob1234

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Add a May 2011 LG 60PZ550 to the list... Just over 4 years old. I've already replaced the Y sustain board, had the power board refurbished and replaced two other screen related boards. Two weeks later - no HDMI signal. What a piece of crap! Don't buy LG!!

rg3186

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
LG 47LW5600 manufactured June 2011. All HDMI inputs stopped working. Unplugged HDMI cables and TV power cord. Waited 15 min. and re-connected all. Seems to be working again.

Siggi

Estimable
Jul 16, 2015
My UK LG (LC420WUH) has stopped recognizing its HDMI inputs. The board is out and the oven is heating up as I type.

It didn't work, something went wrong with one of the ultra-fine ribbon-cables that feed the screen.

meamsuperman

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Solution to "No signal" problem:

I have an LG 42DL550. It would turn on and display the LG logo and I could navigate the menu, but it would always show "no signal" when anything was connected through ANY of the inputs. Sound would come through though, the TV would recognize that something was plugged in, and even my PC would recognize the tv when it was connected through HDMI.

I chose to try the "bake at 385 degrees for ten minutes" method and it got the tv working again through all the inputs. This method is described better above, but here's the general idea: 1) take off back cover of tv. 2) Unplug all connections to the main board. 3) Unscrew the main board and remove the plastic attachment that's on the right side (via a couple of clips). 4) Put main board on a piece of cardboard and bake at 385 degrees for about ten minutes (I did 12 minutes). 5) Let it cool down a little with the oven off and the door open. 6) Once cooled, reinstall in tv and test.

I've only been using it for about an hour now but everything seems ok. The board smelled pretty bad while baking (make sure there's good ventilation and open a few windows!) and was smoking when I turned off the oven, but seems to be fine now. Hope this helps!

Mar2283

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Add us to the list. Our 55 inch only has one hdmi port left working as of a week ago. Bought the LG a year and a half ago. When the last one goes we will have to pay the 200 for the repair (I called LG as well). Pretty great.

Yaffler

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Same problem here with our LG 60PZ750 when I came downstairs to watch the morning news; all 4 HDMI connerctions were failing with the "no signal for current input device" message. I had worked in tech support in the past so I went through the logical steps to diagnose the problem and confirmed all devices were working except the TV HDMI connections. We had a thunder storm last night and the power had gone off for less than a minute according to the time diff from electric digital clocks and my iPad. So I was thinking something got fried by a power surge. That's when I found this forum. Was considering taking the board out to bake it or attempt resoldering when I read an earlier post about unplugging the set. Thought that made some sort of sense as the same routine is used to clear up issues with modems\routers; unplug its power supply for at least a couple of minutes and then plug it back in. I tried this (actually left it unplugged for abt 20min while I went for my shower) and it worked for me. I guess there is some sort of caching or something in the TV that got messed up by the brief power interruption last night.

Anyway - I would suggest anyone having the same problem try the unplug, wait, plug-in test first before doing something as drastic as baking the board. Maybe consider purchasing a soldering iron to reset the solder connections if you think that is the issue. Not sure I would want to be breathing the chemicals coming off a baking PC board! lol

Jessicabeal

Estimable
Aug 6, 2015

I called LG with the same issue. Same purchase time frame and they were unable to help me due to it being so long ago. Do you happen to have the name of the agent you spoke with so I can try to get the same resolution that she provided you?

robertov05

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015

Baking works! I had the exact same problem with the 60 inch LG (model 60LD550). Baked the main board for 10 minutes and now the HDMI ports are working again!

JDawg3000

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Of course he would think it was the dumbest thing he's ever heard. Just tried it last night and it worked for me! Dumbest thing I ever heard would be paying a guy like that before testing it out for yourself and saving $300-400. P.S. I too went up the chain of command and talked with someone in Executive Service, twice. They would not budge for me, however. Consequently, I will not be getting another LG anything - dishwasher, dryer, tv, etc.

Kathybear

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
I played around with the settings on my LG TV due to the same issue. I went to Settings, went down to Channel and the pressed Auto Tuning. I left while the TV was searching, next thing I know everything is working!

Ararat_1

Estimable
Sep 20, 2015
My LG TV had stoped recognizeing all 4 HDMI ports. I fallowed the advice of the website you provideed and now it works fine. I put the TV face down took the screws out and removed the back panel. I took out the main board that has all the HDMI ports attached to it, pre heat the oven to 400 digress. This particular TV model's ( 47LX6500) board has an flat plastic cable attached to it I wraped the cable with a damp cloth and raped it in aluminum foil ( only the cable ) and put the board on a paper plate ( make sue not to put the board on metal) and in the oven and baked it for 12 minutes. I removed it from oven very carefully trying not to disturb the melted led. After 15 minutes or so it was cooled down and was able to intstal it back and to my surprise and joy it WORKD. I saved around $200.00 that's the prise of board (EBR59490101) I just fixed. It's a very simple process and everyone can do it. Thank you all who let me save and learn something new!!

Status
Not open for further replies.