my mac pro laptop

danfifepsu31

Estimable
Feb 22, 2014
can my macbook pro laptop get viruss' and if so whats free to get rid of virus'

Also for any computer whats that mean when theres a wiring sound

Solution
It really isn't "much harder" to get a virus on a computer running Mac OS. Before the Windows revolution, Mac viruses were everywhere. The only reason they practically stopped happening is because of the shrinking popularity over the years. Now, with the large number of Macs being sold, the number of Mac viruses has gone back up. Just like Linux, you can get a virus. The only way it's "harder" to get one is the programmer needs to work harder at either tricking you into activating it, or bypassing certain security measures that limit the infection by OS design; that's about it.

According to AV-Test, the best free solution is Avast. According to the AV-Comparatives 2014 report, Avast would also come out as the overall free...

Warukyure

Estimable
While its much harder to get virus or malware on a mac, can't say there isn't any out there. If you really want to be protected against that stuff, I'd recommend Avast, ESET or Sophos, any of those would work fine.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
It really isn't "much harder" to get a virus on a computer running Mac OS. Before the Windows revolution, Mac viruses were everywhere. The only reason they practically stopped happening is because of the shrinking popularity over the years. Now, with the large number of Macs being sold, the number of Mac viruses has gone back up. Just like Linux, you can get a virus. The only way it's "harder" to get one is the programmer needs to work harder at either tricking you into activating it, or bypassing certain security measures that limit the infection by OS design; that's about it.

According to AV-Test, the best free solution is Avast. According to the AV-Comparatives 2014 report, Avast would also come out as the overall free software victor (check out pages 7 and 37 for comparative statistics).

Avast doesn't appear to give you the best performance possible, but it does seem to be the best compromise. I'm actually surprised, because Avast really isn't that good for Windows protection. But, there ya go.

Best free Mac protection of 2014: Avast.

Solution