My new laptop seems to run games a little too hot

tomixx1199

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
My new Asus N551J runs games a little hot, it runs them at 85C while the max temp for it before shutdown is 100C inside it has an i7 and a GeForce GTX 850M. I have a couple days left to return the laptop so I just wanted to find out if this is normal or if there is something wrong with it.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Is that a regular i7-47XXMQ/HQ or the low power ones like the i7-45XXU? If its the U one then when under load those things REALLY heat up and kick up the fan.
Otherwise, its probably due to ASUS trying to make this laptop slim. I've seen a lot of gaming laptops that get crazy hot when playing a game, just because theres not enough cooling to keep the CPU/GPU cool because thats one of the things that is cut down to make them thinner. (MSI GS60 Ghost and Razer Blade and Pro, I'm looking at you!)

Warukyure

Estimable
Is that a regular i7-47XXMQ/HQ or the low power ones like the i7-45XXU? If its the U one then when under load those things REALLY heat up and kick up the fan.
Otherwise, its probably due to ASUS trying to make this laptop slim. I've seen a lot of gaming laptops that get crazy hot when playing a game, just because theres not enough cooling to keep the CPU/GPU cool because thats one of the things that is cut down to make them thinner. (MSI GS60 Ghost and Razer Blade and Pro, I'm looking at you!)

Solution

tomixx1199

Estimable
Dec 9, 2014
it is the 4710 and i suppose you are right, it is really thin. As long as It wont cause problems I'm ok with it running hot. Now I guess I probably should go find a decent cooling pad.