Solved! My old tv picked up more channels than my new flat screen...why?

Riskyplay11

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hello,

In my apartment we get charter cable for everyone free. i have a cable line running into my apartment when i usto hook up my old crappy tv...i got around 85 stations...then i go and get a new sony 32 inch flat screen, hook it up the same way, and no matter what i try, i only get 27 channels now. I dont understand this at all

Solution
I am guessing that your old TV had an analog tuner that picked up the unencrypted analog channels on your cable and that you new TV has a Digital QAM tuner that is only showing you the unencrypted digital channels. You might be able to check this by connecteing an old VCR to your cable and then to the TV with AV cables. The VCR will tune in the analog channels.
You could split the cable and connect it to both the VCR & TV and switch back and forth since the 27 channels you get with the TV are HiDef (or at least digital).

Riskyplay11

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

I'm guessing your name is Matt. Therefore, it must be operator error.

I am guessing that your old TV had an analog tuner that picked up the unencrypted analog channels on your cable and that you new TV has a Digital QAM tuner that is only showing you the unencrypted digital channels. You might be able to check this by connecteing an old VCR to your cable and then to the TV with AV cables. The VCR will tune in the analog channels.
You could split the cable and connect it to both the VCR & TV and switch back and forth since the 27 channels you get with the TV are HiDef (or at least digital).

Solution