my set stolen and i havent mac addrees just i have serial number how i can find mac address

vm2051363

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
my laptops stolen 1 months ago and a i have just serial number and i have not mac address and police need mac address for find it

Solution
Hi

Only chance is to contact manufacturer to see if they have a record
Dell keep good records of their hardware which you can lookup if you know the serial number

Sometimes the number is held in the motherboard and is not easily changed but the label under neath the laptop can easily be removed or the serial number made unreadable

BUT unless the laptop has software like Prey installed it is unlikely the laptop can be located when it goes on the internet.
Only if a laptop is recovered in suspicious circumstances will its identification be checked against a stolen list

Major Laptop Manufacutures have a option to report lost or stolen laptops on their website.

Most laptops have two mac numbers one for network card and one for wireless...

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Only chance is to contact manufacturer to see if they have a record
Dell keep good records of their hardware which you can lookup if you know the serial number

Sometimes the number is held in the motherboard and is not easily changed but the label under neath the laptop can easily be removed or the serial number made unreadable

BUT unless the laptop has software like Prey installed it is unlikely the laptop can be located when it goes on the internet.
Only if a laptop is recovered in suspicious circumstances will its identification be checked against a stolen list

Major Laptop Manufacutures have a option to report lost or stolen laptops on their website.

Most laptops have two mac numbers one for network card and one for wireless card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution