My sony vaio turns on but then shows a dark screen

Anandu123

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
My sony vaio turns on but then shows a dark screen I can see the curser but no display and no sound what can I do?

fuducker81

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
sounds like a software issue. Have you seen any slowdown or any weird issues in windows? If so, follow these steps:
:::::::****DISCLAMER: I am in no way involved in any damage in storage or loss of files****:::::::

Warning: Proceed with caution if you want to keep your files. I will use the term Norton as any antivirus, and the Term Liveupdate refers to any database update option available. This guide was written with windows 7 in mind, but should work with any windows operating system prior to windows 7, such as Windows XP. I will edit this post if I find a way to prematurely enter safe mode on windows 8 and windows 8.1.

1: On a DIFFERENT COMPUTER, Download Malwarebytes and a very reputable antivirus. You will most definitely want to pay 20 to 30 dollars and buy something like Norton, McAFee or Symantec. Most internet servers providers such as Comcast and Verizon, offer free antivirus such as Norton, McAFee and Symantec. In order to find out more on that, call your internet service provider and ask about antivirus, or you can go on their website and check to see if you are eligable. If you are, follow their instructions on installation download and product codes. Once you have access to download the installation files, proceed to step 2.

2: Transfer/copy installation files onto a seperate/external storage devices, such as an external hard drive, sd card, flash drive, or dvd.

3: Boot windows into safe mode. If running legacy ( Pretty much computers sold before 2013) Press f8 after the Vaio logo is shown on startup. Then select SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. I wouldn't normally suggest networking, but since antivirus needs a few updates before it can run properly.

4: It will show a white bar and it states that windows is loading files. This is a good sign, which shows that windows can be salvaged. Then it should show the windows account select screen, with a previously unseen account Named "Administrator". Click it and log in. !***If you haven't been able to get past this point, feel free to post again for any questions of if you need help***!

5: Proceed to transfer the files over to your main hard drive, Click explorer and proceed to go onto your external storage device and transfer your files. I highly recommend formatting or destroying storage if possible, as malware and other wares have had a reputation of spread through storage means.

6: Install Malwarebytes first. Once installed, run it as administrator. Once open, it may ask to do a database update. Press yes and once that is done, click run full system scan. This will take up to 30 minutes. while you are doing this you may want to install symantec. Just don't restart yet until the Malwarebyte scan is done.

7: Once malwarebytes is done, it may have detected quite of bit. This is normal, sometimes on a nearly fresh pc. This is a good sign. Once norton has prompted you to restart your computer, feel free to do so. Reboot back in to safe mode and select administrator as your account.

8: Run Norton as administrator, and select liveupdate to update your definitions. You may have to run it multiple times, and most of them will ask you to restart your computer. Feel free to, Just remember to log into safe mode.

9: Log into safe mode under Administrator. Run full scan under Norton, and while you are at it, feel free to run Malwarebytes at the same time again, to do a "Sure" Sweep. Once both scans are done, feel free to restart the computer.

10: If all went well, you should be able to log in just fine under a normal boot. Let windows fully load and show the Log in Screen. Ocassionally do updates, as most improve your performance, while not doing some dramatically reduces security and performance.

If there are any questions, comments, or problems with this, feel free to post!