My Tv won't recognize my computer when connected via HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdub3210

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I have a Haier flat screen and a Sony Vaio CW series. I used to have them set up via HDMI at my old house. I would plug it into both my tv and laptop and the screen would switch to the tv. Now I've moved and after setting everything up again, I plug in the cord to both the tv and the laptop and nothing happens. The TV works fine, it's plugged in and I've tried every input. The HDMI cord works as I've hooked up my Xbox with it and it worked fine with the same TV. My laptop works on its own and it's definitely got some issues, but nothing that should keep it from not working. It's just slow and temperamental. Everything is plugged in correctly and on the right channel, as I've said I've had this working before. Any ideas?

jumping to conclusions trepxe?

op,

did you make sure to change the display mode on your laptop so that it exports to a second monitor? on laptops normally you press the FN key and one of the F keys (forget which) to swap through the modes. you should be able to in display properties also.

also make sure you are on the correct input on the television.

if everything worked at the old house, you moved, and are setting it up again i very highly doubt that there is anything wrong with the hdmi port on your computer.

i repeat, i doubt anything is wrong with your motherboard at this point.

tdub3210

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

I've tried the Fn route. Nothing happens when i press FnF7 (F7 has a picture of two monitors w an arrow between them). I know for a fact it has nothing to do w being on the wrong input. Also, i know my Fn key works because the other hotkeys respond. I never had to press anything when i had it set up before it just switched automatically. I've checked the display menu to switch monitors too but it only shows the laptop's monitor and no other choices. The only thing i can think is my hdmi port went bad or a necessary program gotdeleted somehow. Idk how it could be my motherboard tho if everything else works on my laptop, granted I don't know anything about motherboards.

well if you were just using the hdmi port, i doubt it went bad overnight. i am not saying it couldnt happen, just that it sounds unlikely.

the fnf7 route is what i use when i connect up to a tv.

i still seem to think it is some combination of tv input, fnf7 and win display options. i've had issues before that required a bit of fiddling around.

i suppose it could be corrupted drivers or the like....you can try a system restore to when the machine was working or just update your display drivers.

i would assume that the port is still good until all other options have been exhausted. after all, replacing the motherboard in a laptop means that the laptop goes in for service. not exactly the cheapest option to you.

Geeverny

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Try switching order you turn on TV monitor and computer. By turning both off and then restarting old TV monitor first and then my new PC connected by HDMI I finally got mine to work. Worth a try.

G

I had this problem today.

Managed to solve it by using the windows projector settings. Either press 'Windows+P' or look for the 'connect a projector' option under the display settings in the control panel. Cycle through the options and it should get the display to work though the HDMI cable.

avines002

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I too was able to get the HDMI output to work and then later on stop working. I don't know why this happened, but I solved this after some fiddling around. I have an icon (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator) on the taskbar. Right clicking, Graphics Options->Output to -> Intel Dual Display Clone -> Notebook + Digital Television.

I am on windows vista.

hope this helps someone.

guitarrgirl

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Hey there. I'm also experiencing this issue, but still can't make the TV recognize my laptop. I'm using a • Hiteker 19" HD LCD Model #MSAV1931-K3-D0
• Acer Aspire 5740 5513 laptop
• Running Windows 7 (64bit)

The screen on my laptop stopped working so I connected it to the HDTV and it has been running perfectly even when I've booted up with different sequences (as opposed to the TV manual instructions to turn TV on first). I didn't need to do anything special in order for the connection to be made, but did need to adjust the aspect ratio for the HDTV display to appear normal. Last night the power to the laptop was interrupted and the machine shutdown before having a chance to reconnect the power supply. Now the connection will not work AT ALL. I've tried every startup configuration, changed ports, and I'm certain the computer is functioning (all the correct lights are on, the computer is detecting the WiFi connection, and the DVD player is working as well.

I'm pretty sure the HDMI handshake was terminated when the laptop shutdown, but I cannot force the PC to recognize the display using the Windows key + P or the Fn + F5 because I am unable to view the laptop's screen to input anything. Can anyone help with this?

I'm desperate!

: )
m

leohurtado

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
ok, I fixed my issue by going into the intel website to look for the driver. i did a scan to see if my driver was updated, and it wasnt, and vaio care didnt recognize it. downloaded it and installed it and my laptop recognized the computer right away. I have a sony vaio e series. My computer used to work just fine and I would plug my hdmi cable in and it used to recognize it right away. my computer did an update and it all of the sudden stopped working. After looking for an answer, and asking sony with no reply, i decided to go this route. So look for whoever made the display driver, go to their website and look for an update. It worked for me, good luck

FireflyTees1

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I've been having the same problem with a new build.

I've been having to switch inputs on both TV and PC, troubleshoot mode on TV, etc., till it comes on at random.

Whatever combo corresponds with the Function 7 (on my Logitech its Fn1), or export display, is a proper first try. Worked for me first time.

pav_insta

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
I have had the same problem with my sony vaio and my samsum TV. if your search and find your Windown mobility center, open it and then connect your laptop to the TV it will give you some display options. Choose whatever is good for your, i chose the option that allows you to see the display on both screens (laptop and TV) that solved the problem for me.

lolomawisoft

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Thanks got mine working now, had the same problem for a while, but this seemed to work thanks :D

awenydd

Estimable
Apr 27, 2014
ssddx,

your solution sound logical, but I cannot find the input settings on my Toshiba... and the settings for my Surface aren't any help either. I realize this is likely a "me" problem, but can you suggest how I might find the input settings on my Toshiba? I tried switching channels btw.

Usethe4zLuke

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
I recently had this happen to me. I have a Dell XPS 15 and on their support website it shows you multiple recommended downloads. I advise you not to download any of these unless you're having an issue with something on your computer. I downloaded the "recommended" Dell Driver under Drivers for OS Deployment and then could not connect to my 32' vizio.

TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM, after reading on here I simply went to my downloads history where I had downloaded the driver and saw that I had the old driver from 2012 right next to it. I simply unzipped the 2012 driver and my computer worked perfectly. A friend of mine suggested that you may have to clear your local files if this doesn't work or if your new driver wasn't conveniently saved next to the old file.

I HOPE THIS HELPS!

NOTE: I saw someone post it may be a motherboard issue... to rule this out simply try to connect your computer to another system via HDMI (mine connected to my 50' Sharp no problem that's how I knew there was no issue with the mother board or HDMI internal connection).

Dusk1972

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

Hi there, I had same problem to connect laptop to TV with hdmi and then saw yr post today (nob 5,2014). Don't know what I selected on intel graphics, some thing with monitor, and now my laptop( screen is toTally blank. Do u hv any answer to that. Only thing I can see on blank black screen is while mouse. Pl help.

jammyjase01

Estimable
Dec 14, 2014
hi all. i've just had this same issue and found a solution. put tv in hdmi source until you see the not connected message then turn off tv. turn off pc and wait a couple of minutes (don't know if waiting does make a difference its just what i did) then turn on pc and wait until your 99% sure it will have booted up to your desktop. then turn on tv and it connects.

after that just remember to turn on pc and let it boot up before switching on tv.

this worked for me and my luxor hd tv.

hope this helps

jammyjase

Freedom Kinney

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014

if you have geforce graphic card at least with my 760 oc card it allows me to adjust position by opening control panel for geforce !!!! not windows program .just hit size tab check enable resize then hit gray box that says re size your set .. i just toying with new hdmi cable got thought i try it on pc hdtv works fine i have toshiba was running vga coughs now got .. bat my eyes ask my spouse if he let me order another one since wanted for roku to start with laughs ..

SalvageMeh

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015

Thank you so much! it worked perfectly after i did this

Status
Not open for further replies.