My Tv won't recognize my computer when connected via HDMI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdub3210

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I have a Haier flat screen and a Sony Vaio CW series. I used to have them set up via HDMI at my old house. I would plug it into both my tv and laptop and the screen would switch to the tv. Now I've moved and after setting everything up again, I plug in the cord to both the tv and the laptop and nothing happens. The TV works fine, it's plugged in and I've tried every input. The HDMI cord works as I've hooked up my Xbox with it and it worked fine with the same TV. My laptop works on its own and it's definitely got some issues, but nothing that should keep it from not working. It's just slow and temperamental. Everything is plugged in correctly and on the right channel, as I've said I've had this working before. Any ideas?

Gauk

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015

Hey,

I am having the exact same problem. Tried all the above and my laptop is not recognising any other displays when connected through hdmi either? Is it my motherboard that's the problem? And if so how do I get that fixed/how much will the damage be?!

Thanks!

BlueEyedChild

Estimable
Feb 3, 2015

Hey, I have this problem with my Vizio as well, thing is, my parents have the same Vizio in the living room that i have in my room. I think. I mean it's the same size, their Vizio may be a newer model? Not sure, but my HDMI port on my HP laptop worked perfectly with the TV in the living room. When I bought this TV off of craigslist, it worked perfectly, MINUS the HDMI ports. I tried both of them and it always says, "Retrieving data...." And then it automatically goes to No signal.

What do i do about this? does anyone know abything about the drivers/connections from a Vizio TV to a HP laptop? Need help please.

kttm

Estimable
Feb 5, 2015
Hiya! Not sure if people are still wondering but all it took for me was to update my driver. This problem happened to me after I rebooted my laptop and the display driver wasn't the latest one.

BazzR

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

Hey Buddy, had the same problem ATI mobility Radeon hd roll back was my fix. Tv just would get the hdmi signal, tried everything, changed to all the formats on "connect to projector" and "external display" with fn+f7+win, win+p, disabled video drive, uninstalled video drive, restored to previous settings you know whateever advice I could find in the forums. Then control panel - hardware and sound - device manager - display adapters - AtI mobility radeon hd properties (right click and scroll to properties) - roll back driver. worked almost immediately after roll back. Hope helps :)

waqarakram

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

This worked for me ... :-D :-D I was worried for 3 weeks... thanks man Life saved.

Alisejan

Estimable
Apr 25, 2015
I have the same problem. My hdmi cord has usually worked when connected to my laptop and computer. For some odd reason now, it's not working. I checked the display resolution and it only reads "1" as being detected. The ATT technician said it should show "2" monitors being detected. However, when I used the same cord on my father's laptop, it worked!!! Does this mean something is wrong with my hdmi laptop input, or will a new cord fix the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.