Solved! My Westinghouse digital tv wont complete setup for antenna tv, how else can I hook up my tv to watch free tv without cable

Dec 10, 2018
I have a Westinghouse Digital tv without remote, it won't go past the setup wizard so I can use antenna to watch free tv..I always had cable before. Is there another way to hook up tv so I can watch free tv??.The tv has every type of component hook ups, as well as HDMI. I do have an old Uverse cable box, but no cable..?? I purchased 3 different universal remotes to try to use to set it up..but they only controlled the power..Help..?

Solution
just to help you understand, "free" tv does not offer the same channels you get with cable.
While you can get these free channels included in your cable package, you don't get cable channels with antenna.

In regards to not being able to get past the initial setup phase of the TV, this requires the remote that comes with it.

If you do not have this remote, then a universal remote should work as long as you programmed it with the right code.
Many times with universal remotes there is more than one code for a TV manufacturer, and while more than one can work to turn it on and off, only one maybe two of the codes will allow the remote to navigate menus.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
just to help you understand, "free" tv does not offer the same channels you get with cable.
While you can get these free channels included in your cable package, you don't get cable channels with antenna.

In regards to not being able to get past the initial setup phase of the TV, this requires the remote that comes with it.

If you do not have this remote, then a universal remote should work as long as you programmed it with the right code.
Many times with universal remotes there is more than one code for a TV manufacturer, and while more than one can work to turn it on and off, only one maybe two of the codes will allow the remote to navigate menus.

Solution
Many "universal remotes" don't have all the codes of the original one. A Logitech Harmony remote will have at least as many as the original remote and is programmed from their online database so it works with just about everything that uses IR codes.
The other option depends on whether you can change inputs on the TV without the remote. You can connect an external ATSC over the air turner to the TV. That will have its' own remote so you can scan for channels.