Solved! My wi-fi will not turn on.

Jan 14, 2019
I have a Dell XPS running windows 10. When I go into settings, The wi-fi was working and then suddenly it wasn't. It has turned off and won't be turned back on. I can slide the Wi-fi slider to "on" but it doesn't actually turn on and then the slider goes back to "off". I have restarted and cold started several times. I have checked "turn wi-fi on in 1 hour" and waited. I have disabled and enabled both wi-fi and ethernet. Nothing is working.

Solution
The XPS (Xtreme Performance System) name dates back to 1990. There are XPS desktops and XPS laptops.
This information may be helpful in determining your model number:
To find your product model using the BIOS.

1.Turn on your computer.
2.As soon as you see the Dell logo screen, press the F2 key once a second to access the BIOS.
3.On the BIOS menu, you will find the product model in the menu title or listed under System Name

robert600

Distinguished
If the switch is the problem, this might work.

You can turn the wireless on and off from the command line. But first you need to know the wi-fi name. Go to Control Panel ... select Network and Sharing Center ... click on 'change adapter settings' and look to see what your wi-fi connection is called ... mine is called Wireless Network Connection 5 so my example will use that name - you use whatever the name of yours is.

right click on command prompt and select 'run as administer'

type this on the command line and then press enter:

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection 5" admin=enable

This should turn it on.

typing this and hitting enter:

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection 5" admin=disable

should turn it off.

Calvin7

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
The XPS (Xtreme Performance System) name dates back to 1990. There are XPS desktops and XPS laptops.
This information may be helpful in determining your model number:
To find your product model using the BIOS.

1.Turn on your computer.
2.As soon as you see the Dell logo screen, press the F2 key once a second to access the BIOS.
3.On the BIOS menu, you will find the product model in the menu title or listed under System Name

Solution

TRENDING THREADS