Myst Lands on iPhone; 1.5 GB Large

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
If the PSP had its own version of the "app store" for media and games it would dominate the portable gaming market.

This is a big achievement for the iPhone though, its the 1st actual big budget (even it was so many years ago) game to be ported.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Sony should definitely learn from Apple. So many jailbroken iPhones and iPods, but you don't see a lack of software and games nor do the developers complain.

The PSP should have had so much more success. It's not about piracy, it's about marketing strategies and knowing what your customers want.

I'm not an Apple fan, but you must admire their marketing strategies.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Oh and btw: I know an old high school teacher of mine whose computer can barely run Myst. Is it sad that our schools are running hardware so old that Myst barely plays, but my iPhone handles it splendidly?

G

It runs myst perfectly on your iPhone because the game has been optimized for that system. The computer on the other hand has to switch to compatibility mode first, making the game somewhat unstable.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]halo_freak_9283[/nom]It runs myst perfectly on your iPhone because the game has been optimized for that system. The computer on the other hand has to switch to compatibility mode first, making the game somewhat unstable.[/citation]

The problem was the computer is just so old it can run is smoothly. Not compatibility.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Myst? As in the game that was released 15 years ago? I would expect smart phones to be more powerful than computers were 15 years ago. Of course the amazing Myst visuals would look rather pedestrian these days.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]Of course the amazing Myst visuals would look rather pedestrian these days.[/citation]
Uh, it's not quite a correct statement. It uses pre-rendered video, so it's a flawed comparison. It only makes sense, really, if you're comparing 3D games to 3D games. Given the tiny size of the screen on the handhelds, the fact that it's pre-rendered won't be anywhere near so noticeable, so it should readily look at least as good as any live-rendered 3D games. As really, movies don't look "pedestrian" as time goes on.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Myst was one of those games I always loved, but the point and click gets a bit cumbersome. The only 3D Myst (not pre-rendered) was a bit more fun but quickly abandonned for some reason. But, my biggest restraint from getting Myst on the iPhone is the fact that the store and the puzzles require full immersion and it's NOT for casual gamers. With job and family taking their toll, it's simply too hard to pick up Myst for a few minutes and enjoy.

G

My very first game ever - Man Hole! Cyan please bring this to the iPhone so I can fondly remember my childhood memories! I can't find this game ANYWHERE!!!

4c1dr41n4

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Point and click adventures ought to feel right at home on the iPhone, as well as strategy games like Sim City. The touch screen is a good replacement for the mouse.

I still prefer the PSP for more action-oriented games on the go, because of the dedicated controls. Puzzles and RPGs play very well on both platforms.

For those of us who care for graphics, though, the PSP with its dedicated 3d hardware is a real treat. Has anyone played GoW / Daxter / Joanna D'Arc (all exclusives)? They are simply beautiful.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]If the PSP had its own version of the "app store" for media and games it would dominate the portable gaming market.This is a big achievement for the iPhone though, its the 1st actual big budget (even it was so many years ago) game to be ported.[/citation]

It does.. just go to a hotspot, turn the Wi-Fi on and visit the Playstation store.

It might pale in comparison to the same offering from Apple.. but it does indeed exist. I've download Super Stardust Portable, Hot Shots Golf, Flow and a couple other games. They also have some PSP games that were originally released on UMD, for download.

Sony really needs to utilize and promote the service a bit better, however. Comparing it to XBox Live, which I am more familiar with than Apple's offering, it just doesn't hold a candle to it.

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
FYI for all you Myst fans. The is currently a project in the works to bring Myst - Book of Tiana to the big screen. They are in the process of working on a final draft of the script so it will be awhile before the movie hits theaters.

http://mystmovie.com/

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ssr[/nom]in next ad of iphone apple will sayiphone is the best PGP ever produced[/citation]

What does Pretty Good Privacy have to do with this?

I still don't see how the iPhone could be a decent gaming system. It doesn't have joysticks or even tactile buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.