Namco Bandai: Nintendo Markets Have Collapsed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
The problem with games for Wii or the handhelds, is they have a younger marketbase, and the games themselves are not long-lasting. You play them, you beat them, and thats about it, theres a reason there are SO many games for them. Its just the nature of the system, to have games with less content and features. Many people can't afford to always be buying new games to keep their interest.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I have to agree with the statement that most Wii/DS games aren't very good. I sold my DS a year or two ago, and the only game I've played on the Wii consistently is Smash Brothers: Brawl. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the first Wii game I remember being excited about in years.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
While that may be true, Apple may have some hand in its demise. The iPhone and iPod touch provide better graphics and touchscreen technology. Both Apple devices also provide more than just games, offering tools, video and audio media, and more. They're more diverse even when compared to the DSi. In the mobile market, Nintendo will seriously need to follow Apple's footsteps if it wants to keep its share of the market. Will the 3DS be able to take on Apple?

For real? Who in their right mind plays real games on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad? It's just stupid. These things won't take over the game market, except for maybe the casual market. Let the cheapy-crappy games go to Apple; I'll keep playing my real games on my real game platforms.

bollwerk

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
But he also admitted his remorse for the platform, noting that piracy was indeed one of the forces behind the overall collapse of the DS market.

Most people have no idea how to pirate a game for a console or handheld, so I find this hard to believe. Many people pirate movies and music, but not console or handheld games.

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Please keep pirating console games, so developers can loose their love for the old hardware boxes and start developing for the pc-platform again. please please please

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]For real? Who in their right mind plays real games on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad? It's just stupid. These things won't take over the game market, except for maybe the casual market. Let the cheapy-crappy games go to Apple; I'll keep playing my real games on my real game platforms.[/citation]

You're fooling yourself if you don't think that Apple is gradually becoming more and more of a threat to Nintendo and Sony in the handheld gaming market. People have started putting real time, money, and energy into developing for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, and as it becomes more familiar and people figure out how best to develop games for a pure touchscreen format, it's going to become even more of a competitor.

I don't like it - I'd prefer to keep playing on a system with actual tactile controls - but trying to deny that Apple is establishing its systems as viable platforms for gaming, and trying to deny that it poses a threat to Nintendo and Sony's systems, just shows that you are actively ignoring what's actually going on.

afciscoguy

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Chriscornell[/nom]Please keep pirating console games, so developers can loose their love for the old hardware boxes and start developing for the pc-platform again. please please please[/citation]

Been saying this for years now, pirating on ANY console usually involves one chip for 50 bucks and a source of games... THAT'S IT!! AND, once you've hacked into your console/handheld, it's as easy as download and burn the game to get it running!! No cracking, no hacking, just easy to play!!

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
"For real?"

Recent trips to Disney and my local mall tell me yes it's "for real". I am noticing a lot more kids playing games on iPod touch's, some even using iPhones which I assume are hand-me-downs from mom and dad. It makes sense to me, the games for Apple's products are usually dirt cheap or free, without resorting to piracy, plus music/video/web surfing. Less trips to the mall to have to run the Gamestop guantlet and their endless "Would you like to sign up for our money saving membership and trade-in program".

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I knew this milk train would come to a halt sooner or later.Although, I give it to nintendo for making it last a few years longer than I thought it would.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]theroguex[/nom]For real? Who in their right mind plays real games on an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad? It's just stupid. These things won't take over the game market, except for maybe the casual market. Let the cheapy-crappy games go to Apple; I'll keep playing my real games on my real game platforms.[/citation]

Do not underestimate the power of the FarmVille zealots...

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I think this guy is misinformed, and his statement is a big fat example of Namco's bitterness towards Nintendo for destroying their arcade market in Japan.

G

I consider myself an avid and experienced gamer (PC, multiple consoles, and portables over 20+ years). Ever since I got my iPhone I've barely touched my DS and PSP. My iPhone's apps are mostly games. I like the bite-sized nature of the games, especially when commuting or traveling. So I think Apple is onto something. There's a bit of a compromise with the touchscreen controls but it's not that bad. It's been a good enough of a gaming experience that I don't have to carry another gadget around just for games.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
It's all about market penetration. DS might be the better gaming platform, but apple has surpassed them in units sold. get the units in people's hands and software (game) sales will rise.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Market Saturation; everyone who wants one/can get one already HAS one.
If Ninten-doh was smart enough to sell a Wii-HD everyone would be out rebuying their Wii's, and the 1 million Wii's a week trend could continue. But no, it's been 4 years, they've sold 2 billion of them and there is no one left to BUY it.
Stupid Nintendo, make something NEW this decade and be quick about it.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Apples games are ok, but I believe it is their content delivery system. Very easy and spontaneous to just hit buy now on Sims 3, Final Fantasy, Zenomia, Chaos Rings, and a slew of other games that my daughters love. I get to install to multiple devices at the cost of one game (no fighting over the pokemon savegame or having to buy a duplicate because they only let you have one save). No more kids losing the DS cartridges. I am no Apple fanboy, but they are alot more giving in terms of what you get when you buy the game.

squiggs77

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I don't think piracy is killing sales. That seems like the excuse software companies use explain why they aren't making as much money as they planned. When I believe it's either, A) The quality of the games. Or B) Poor marketing so no one is interested in it.

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Am I the only person here that doesn't know what the heck an R4 is, or does and how that impacts Mario Bros.?

I try to stay on top of gaming news for everything but I'm blindsided here.

Ondoval

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"While that may be true, Apple may have some hand in its demise. The iPhone and iPod touch provide better graphics and touchscreen technology. Both Apple devices also provide more than just games, offering tools, video and audio media, and more. They're more diverse even when compared to the DSi. In the mobile market, Nintendo will seriously need to follow Apple's footsteps if it wants to keep its share of the market. Will the 3DS be able to take on Apple?"

I was reading lately that both (iPad and iPhone 4) are currently cracked -yes, even the still not released iPhone 4-.

G

[citation][nom]flachet[/nom]Am I the only person here that doesn't know what the heck an R4 is, or does and how that impacts Mario Bros.?I try to stay on top of gaming news for everything but I'm blindsided here.[/citation]

R4 is a flash cart (that you can connect to your computer) that you can use to play homebrew or downloaded DS files. In other words, it allows you to download DS games from the internet and play them on your DS without paying for the game at a store - like an honest person would.

Status
Not open for further replies.